. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't have access to a mill, but really need the following parts made...

Part 1.

A 9mm diameter mild steel rod, about 50mm in length. Milled into the centre at each end, a 5mm circular 'recess'/pocket 2.5mm deep at one end of the rod, & a 5mm circular 'recess'/pocket 1.8mm deep at the other end of the rod. Ideally, on the outside edge perimeter of the 5mm pocket, I would like the smallest hole 'do-able' drilled at say circa 45 degrees through the rod body to pop up at the main rod edge (it's to thread enamelled copper wire through...more on this below!)

Part 2.
    A 9mm diameter mild steel rod, 30mm in length. Milled into the centre at one end, a 5mm circular pocket 1.6mm deep ...at the other end of the rod, no pocket, but about 1cm of M8 thread. Once again, ideally, on the outer perimeter of the 5mm pocket, I would like the smallest hole 'do-able' at say circa 45 degrees through the rod body to pop up at the main rod edge

Just for a bit of background..this is to wind small coils.

Part 1 will go into a 'holding/turning' heath robinson chuck - a 5mm diameter magnet will be inserted into the small pocket/recess. Part 2 will be threaded onto an M8 rod, but then used to push up against the other end of the magnet - the idea is to rotate the magnet by a motor while feeding copper wire onto it - essentially making a coil. These parts hold the magnet in place & provide a pseudo bobbin 'edge' for the wire boundary as it traverses left to right. Therefore The above 'recessed' circular pockets need to be razor sharp from an angular perspective - ie a 90 degree corner (I'm using wire that is very thin ...0.1mm diameter & don't want any wire to be able to go into the recess). I could post out the small cylindrical magnet that I'll be using to ensure there's a nice tight fit for it into the recessed pockets.

This is not for a commercial venture...just a little hobby project I've started out on!

Could some kind soul quote me? (or if they don't fancy quoting, at least give me a flavour of what would be a ballpark price (I have some acrylic rod that in theory I could try * mill thos pocket into...but I'd really like this to be steel as the magnets will adhere to them (since the recesses are quite shallow, I need all the help I can get at holding the magnet steady!)

here's a very rough and ready sketch ...

Last edited by HankMcSpank; 18-06-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Thread Information