. .
    Hi, we recently moved our 1980's Bridgeport Mill and to permit access to its new location had to remove the bed. I then discovered that the leadscrew nut was damaged and required replacement. I can find the standard brass 1 or 2 part 'X' axis nuts online, but have been unable to identify the type we have. It is a steel cylinder with ball bearings running in an internal thread. It has 4 milled pockets through the cylinder with inserts and nylon seals at either end. I wondered if anybody had come across this type before, and could suggest a supplier? I have tried inserting pictures to display the item but no luck so far!
    The machine is a Bridgeport Vertical Mill by Bridgeport Textron of Leicester serial number 355230281V, and has an Anilam Crusader II control.

Hi,

Considering it is an old machine, you may only find replacements from Hardringe that now own the Bridgeport brand. This will probably be very expensive. High end ballscrews come matched so it is not recommended to just buy any old nut.

I think I may be able to help you with this issue if you send me photos of what you have. Drop me a PM with your phone number and I will get back to you.

Regards
    George
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to komatias For This Useful Post:

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Wildflower
    What you are describing is the housing assembly of a Ballscrew, your machine appears to have been converted from the standard ACME thread, ballscrew nuts are readily available you just need to maesure the Dia and pitch.
    Hope that helps
    Regards
    Mike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

You cant just use any ballnut just because it is the same diameter and pitch.
    you need to get the same manufacture of ballscrew as the nut or it will not fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Wildflower
    What you are describing is the housing assembly of a Ballscrew, your machine appears to have been converted from the standard ACME thread, ballscrew nuts are readily available you just need to maesure the Dia and pitch.
    Hope that helps
    Regards
    Mike

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dodgygeeza For This Useful Post:

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Sorry about the bad information, I would have thought OP would be buying a complete new assembly though as if the nut was damaged the screw wouldn't be @ it's best and only the pitch would have been relevant.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Thread Information