. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Or you could scan or photograph it, resize the image appropriately, then import the image into a CAD program, from there it's quite quick to create an accurate drawing,

- Nick

Sounds feasible
    Any free cad that does this ?
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Draftsight does, its what I use to do drawings of RC planes.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Good to know there's a freebie option, I use BobCAD-CAM V25 for 2.5D, 3D & 4-Axis stuff so I bought the art package with a view to engraving work, it turned out to be of more use for 2D part replication ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I looked into the same thing a while back as I wanted to get an RC plane plan and put it on a surface and trace over the outlines etc with the mouse/puck. I remember back in the late 80's early 90's being at uni and using a tablet and puck for cad....on a Commadore 64. There are tablets out there but as been said their blinking expensive!
    I remember something similar in the 80's, a bloke I know spent a bundle of money on a vinyl cutter and computer[they will never catch on].
    I never took much notice of it, I was there when he did a van for a local motorbike shop; he drew a logo free hand with pencil and paper, then he went over it with a thing with a lens with cross hairs. I think he had to press a button at points and it created it on the screen.

Time, and software has moved on. With the quality of digital imaging now available, and with the advent of packages with a good "Trace" function capable of generating vector outlines from bit-mapped images, the time of "digitising tablets" for accurate generation of technical drawings is well past it's sell-by date.
    Starting with a scanned image or photograph I use Photoshop for bit mapped image sizing, manipulation and processing then Illustrator for vinyl cutting vector art generation or Bob-Art for machining jobs.
    The only potential problem when photographing parts is distortion of the image caused by short focal length lenses, and/or having the focal plane too close to the object, by using at least a 50mm lens with the focal plane at least 1m away for parts up to 100mm length the results are good. For larger parts hanging on a wall and using a telephoto lens from longer distance would make sense.

- Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information