. .
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    So after a long time away from anything hobby related I have finally got around to some shed time.

having learned from my drill conversion saga I hopefully have done it properly now and just bought a descent mill to convert to cnc. It is actually an EME mentor mill MM1 base with a Maximat7 mill head. 4 speed gear box and 0.25kW 415V 3 phase motor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040493.jpg 
Views:	1430 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	8624

The main problem is that the motor is 415v and the plastic gears in the gearbox are shot. In light of this I think the best option is use a DC motor from a treadmill and convert it to belt drive giving full speed control and 2hp.

The existing motor is part of the top plate and also holds the bearing for the final drive cog. To fit a different motor would mean making a new plate. Not having a working mill does pose the problem of how to make this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040494.jpg 
Views:	1540 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	8632

Any takers for quoting to make this part? subjec to proper dims and drawings etc.

Cheers

Ross

I'm rebuilding the head off my Arboga at the moment where the gearbox sits on top. i had to dump this to build a direct drive. I would just mount the mount up off the top plate you have already and remove all the gubbins from your box. This way you would just need a couple of pieces of Bar to raise the motor in the air to accommodate the pulleys.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Same as Ross.
    Saw the top plate off the motor, job done and everything fits and is in line.
    John S -

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Thanks Swarfing and John. I always seem to miss the easy solutions, although I was hoping to make all mods reversible. Didnt want to hack up something that I might be able to sell. Are 415v motors for these machines worth anything?

I'll have another look and see if the end plate will come off without destroying the motor, that would be the best out come.

Thanks again

If it wires 230 - 240v delta then just wack a vfd on it and away you go :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    If it wires 230 - 240v delta then just wack a vfd on it and away you go :-)
    How can I tell? motor plate says 440v and there isnt the normal terminal box for changing star or dlta configurations. will a 440v motor run on 240v not be half as slow?

Cheers

Nice to see you back Ross, was reading some of your threads the other day and said to myself "i wonder what hes upto these days".

.Me
    .Me

If there is no obvious opening or cap to reconfigure then maybe not? google mot or details and see what comes up.

Thanks Lee, good to be back. Been converting a barn for the last 3 years and still not quite finished but need some down time to try and keep me sane.

Progress will be slow but I have a lot planned for this mill, essentially it will be full cnc but with a Arduino (or similar micro processor) to monitor speed, axis DRO and act as a standalone controller for quick manual use.

I think you probably can still reconfigure it , but you will need to find the star point on the windings and the rewire as delta. G.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information