. .
  1. Hi all, been off the air for a long while for various reasons, but hope to resume 'normal' service soon (or as normal as it gets these days).

Anyway, I need to find a U-shaped bit of steel (channel) around 35mm high x 35mm long with the channel width internally about 6.5 +.5/-0 formed from 0.8 - 1mm sheet. Needs to be magnetic, so has to be steel, and finished in a brushed/satin effect.

Ideas anyone?

Welcome back Irving it's been too long so nice to hear from you again.

Can't you just form this around a piece of material the width of your channel. 1mm sheet bends easy enough so shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-11-2015 at 07:11 PM.

3. Hi Dean,

Yes, its been too long, tbh got a little too inwardly focussed and last 6 mo or so I've struggled with just coping day to day, but trying to get up n running again.

Well if I had some tools and some hands to use them I probably could... but my tools are still in storage and I couldn't use them anyway. Anyway, I think the way to do this would be to cut them out with a plasma or laser cutter to get neat radiussed corners (failing that, tinsnips and a file ), do the surface preparation (not sure what exactly, want a brushed, stainless finish) then score the back and fold using some 6mm mdf say as a former.

Good that you are back online.
    Just my usual two pennuth - dont forget - most stainless steel is low magnetism.

Cheeers,

Rob

5. Thanks. Wasn't suggesting making them from stainless, just needs a brushed steel/stainless effect finish that wont rust! Not sure how you get that.

Use a magnetic grade of stainless, they're not as corrosion resistant as non-magnetic grades but still stay bright in most non-marine applications,

- Nick

Grade 430 stainless is ferritic (magnetic) ...it's normally used for kitchen equipent...hobs, worksurfaces, door kick plates etc.

Looks like this guy can cut to size...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brushed-St...eBr1oPIQmMngTQ

Last edited by HankMcSpank; 14-11-2015 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Anyway, I need to find a U-shaped bit of steel (channel) around 35mm high x 35mm long with the channel width internally about 6.5 +.5/-0 formed from 0.8 - 1mm sheet. Needs to be magnetic, so has to be steel, and finished in a brushed/satin effect.
    How many do you need ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1456.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	16577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1459.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	16578

Hi Irving,

I have just cut and bent this. it is 7mm inside (but springs inwards to 5mm at open end) 40mm x 34mm at the moment. I need to deburr and finish. If it is too long let me know. Otherwise I need a quantity on this order and a despatch address as a PM.

There is the option of a black neoprene (?) foam 1mm thick if you want it lined with it. I can also offer cork and neoprene gasket if that would be better.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 21-11-2015 at 02:28 PM.

10. Rob,That's brilliant, thank you. I need two identical ones. It has to fit over 6mm glass so 7mm with something internal like a thin neoprene sheet would be fine, as long as it stays put. 1mm neoprene might be a little thick though. Being pedantic, the only thing I'm not sure about is how tight that will sit against the edge of the glass, the commercially available, but too small, ones look squarer in profile

Is it magnetic? Or will I n<script id="gpt-impl-0.25115873216392326" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_75.js"></script>eed to glue some thin steel sheet to the back?
    PM on its way.

Thread Information