Thread: Which Miller?

New to the forum; looking for the 'best' cnc miller I can get for up to 5k...
    What for? Initially parts in various plastics and aluminium and prototype PCBs.
    Doesn't have to be fast, but solid (reliable) and reasonably accurate would be good.
    I've looked at a Wabeco CC-F 1210 E and a Syil X5, but I need some practical guidance - their 160mm Y travel looks a bit limiting, so a little more would be nice 'just in case', but I'm also wary of how much space it'll take up!
    I have no experience of how they're programmed, but I have years of experience of AutoCAD, so something that's 'similar' could be beneficial.
    Any advice appreciated - preferably of a positive nature!

Lives in Nottingham, England, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,948. Received thanks 127 times, giving thanks to others 44 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Y travel of most of the desktop machines is a stumbling block but it's the price you have to pay for having a desk top.

Space needed is usually the footprint of the machine plus 1/2 the X travel added onto the bed size. This is theoretical and in use you need a bit more for bits hanging off.
    Many people stand a mill in a corner at 45 degrees to take advantage of the back part never having any movement and gaining the bed travel as it sticks out, also possible to still have benches / cupboards to either side and clear parts off when using the mill.

Support is more important on a CNC mill, ask question on how they deal with support and spares once bought. Is the machine you choose actually supported in the UK or are you tied to a US web site ?

Deep subject requiring a lot of background.

John S -