. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gatesy View Post
    At the moment I have no control. My intention was to go with MACH3 or UCCNC, and use the CNCdrive BOB and motion controller, and at some point in the future as and when funds allow, might upgrade to a Centroid CNC control, which outputs +/-10v to the servo drives.
    If this machine is decent size and quality then I'd go with something better than Cncdrive Controller. If you watch the servo video you'll see Cslabs Analog controller which gives +/-10v and doesn't require a pain in the arse Bob plus it's ethernet based so much stronger connection. If you still have the Fanuc Servo drives which are+-10v then this is what you need and nothing else.
    It's commonly used for retro fits because of it's quality and expandabilty. It's industrial strength with 24v I/O and plenty of them has standard with expansion modules if more are required. There is also a Spindle Encoder Module for accurate threading and spindle orientation.
    The Centroid will offer little more than Mach3/4 or Linux Cnc can and will cost much much more money.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-11-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Had a look at the CS labs stuff, think it's a bit out of my price range at the moment!!!

I originally looked at the CNCdrive products as they seemed very reasonably priced, so think I might end up with some of their products, and servos probably from china if they have decent encoders on them.

The machine I have is a Denford Triac, which I would like to have something like a Centroid or CSlabs control set up for, but at the moment can't justify the expense!! I'd rather be using the mill rather have it sat there another year or so while I try and save up!!

I have another CNC machine I'm building which only needs to index between cuts being taken, so my thoughts were to go with a budget set up on the Triac, and then as and when funds allow upgrade the control system on that, and transfer the budget set up to the new machine.

While I would like to be able to go straight for a CSlabs set up, there seem to be plenty of machines in use that use cheaper parts and perform perfectly well

Looking at Linux cnc, is this compatible with MACH3 products, or do I need parts specifically for Linux cnc?

Could I buy the CNCdrive setup, load Linux cnc on my pc and it integrate together, or do I need to do a bit more setting up of the system?

Looking at Linux cnc, is this compatible with MACH3 products, or do I need parts specifically for Linux cnc?

Could I buy the CNCdrive setup, load Linux cnc on my pc and it integrate together, or do I need to do a bit more setting up of the system?
    Yes and No. Most drives and BOBs will work with Both. But External Motion control cards like Uc300 or Cslabs, ESS etc use a dedicated software plug-in that will only work with Mach3. Obviously Uc300 will work with UcCnc as well.
    That said because Linux Cnc is real time Kernal then it doesn't need a Ex Motion control card. What you may need however is More I/O so you'll use what called Mesa cards to provide this.
    Linux is a very Good cheap option if your prepared for a steep learning curve and to search for Info etc. It isn't has well supported has Mach3 with as wide user base but often those who do support it are quite knowledgable I believe. I'm not into Linux Cnc so that's far has I can help on that i'm afraid. It's certainly got far wider user base and support than UcCnc thou.

Now Just something to be aware of with Uc300 and some of the Cheaper Ex motion control cards when used with Servos.? There Frequency is low. Often Maxing at 100 or 125Khz. This means with 2500ppr encoder you will be limted to the Max speed you'll get from the Servo motor.
    Common rpm for servo is 3000rpm but with only 100Khz and 2500ppr encoder you'll never get that speed and your Max speed will be 600rpm.!!
    To get your full 3000 rpm and keep all the resolution your 2500ppr encoder provides you'll need frequency of 500khz.
    You can still use Uc300 and get the full 3000rpm provided the Drive allows electronic gearing. This will however come at the cost of Encoder Resolution.

This why CncDrive will use 1000ppr Encoders as the overhead is much lower on there Ex Mo card. Even then for 3000rpm you'll need 1:2 E-Gearing so encoder count is actually 500ppr.!!

Cslabs and Ess for instance have 4Mhz Frequency limit which is well on top of the job.!

More to this Cnc malarky than often realised.. .
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-11-2015 at 12:19 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

That's what appeals to me more about the Linux cnc is that it seems to be much more like a purpose built cnc control (as in Fanuc, Heidenhain, etc) rather than a cnc programme running on windows. I'll have to explore further I think.

Interesting. This is all the information that you need when deciding on what to buy!

I'll have to explore costings a bit more and explore Linux cnc a bit more I think.

Many thanks for all your help and advice, most useful and certainly a lot to think about

That's what appeals to me more about the Linux cnc is that it seems to be much more like a purpose built cnc control (as in Fanuc, Heidenhain, etc) rather than a cnc programme running on windows. I'll have to explore further I think.
    Not really it's still software based working on PC limitations.!!
    Fanuc, heidenhain etc use Bespoke Hardware mixed with software to provide there High speed high quality pulses etc. So actually in reality the Mach3 and External motion control cards like Cslabs, Kflop etc are closer to Fanuc Heidenhain in this terms because they use Custom bespoke hardware and software combinations.
    But Still there is one BIG difference with Mach3 and Ex Mo cards in it's still a Buffered system and not real time. Linux Cnc is real time and this does make a difference esp with servos and encoders. But I Still think you'll have a lack of Frequency issue because of the restriction of the Parallel port Architecture but I'm not sure what that limit is running Via Linux.?

Kflop is worth a serious look actually because think it can run on both linux cnc and mach but again it's not cheap.!! (and I may be wrong on running both.?)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-11-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Just been having a read of Linux CNC and they appear to have ethernet motion control cards, one example running at 3Mhz

Ok thanks I'll have a look

Just been having a read of Linux CNC and they appear to have ethernet motion control cards, one example running at 3Mhz
    Yes but again it's not cheap by the time you have bought the Ethernet Card and the Breakout board to match so your still into same or more money.
    Then you have to factor in the knowledge required to setup and get the best from these cards. Just Read the Descriptions to see they are not the friendly of beast's hence why I said Steep learning curve required.!
    Nice capable cards and software but honestly not for the newbie's or required for a simple Mill like Denford IMO.

Hi all!
    I'm new in a forum and at first sorry for my english.
    Why not a Mesa cards if you go for a LinuxCNC?
    Now you can use it with a parallel port and later if you need more speed you can upgrade to an ethernet type.

They have a combination between a ethernet card and the motion Controller.
    Its called 7i76e, thats the same as the step/dir card 7i76e but with a ethernetcard with 2 expansion ports plus an additional expansion port via serial link. The other ethernetcard they have, has 4 ports.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information