. .
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Hey guys...

Lots of progress here. Really pleased with how the machine has turned out so far.
    Super strong and bloody heavy. Not a bit of wobble in the Z. It only took 2 days to assemble all the parts in the end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_194252.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	16673

Lots still to do.

Jazz - Got a couple more electronic questions if you would be so kind.

1. Can you confirm that a 1n4007 1000V diode is ok for the fly back diode on my 24v relay and that the line on the end of diode goes towards the PSU and not the other way around ?

2. I've got my transformers. The 24V one I've received is only 1A. I thought it was more than that, but no.

Basically it's driving the relay (which has a coil current of 69mA) and 3 prox switches. The only data I can find on these switches is that they have an "output current" of 300ma.
    So does that mean 300 x 3 + 69 = 969ma, e.g. Just less than 1A so ok ?

3. The relay I've got did not have a base. Would it be ok to mount the relay upside down and use spade connector crimps ?

4. Is it worth it to run earth fly leads from panel to panel in my multi-panel case. It is painted so there is no conductivity between some of the panels.

Thanks Guys.
    Martin

2. No, that only mean, you can switch a maximum of 300ma with the switch, but if you will drive the relay then the switch needs a little bit maybe 2mA, more then the 69mA. If you go to the bob, then it will need 10mA or less.

3. Not good, a relay socket don't cost a fortune. You can make it upside down, but, if the relay have an indicator, you can't see him. And if you glue it to your assembly plate, it can fall down if the glue isn't correct for the material. then you can get a shortcircuit.
    Last edited by uli12us; 02-12-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    - Got a couple more electronic questions if you would be so kind.

1. Can you confirm that a 1n4007 1000V diode is ok for the fly back diode on my 24v relay and that the line on the end of diode goes towards the PSU and not the other way around ?

2. I've got my transformers. The 24V one I've received is only 1A. I thought it was more than that, but no.

Basically it's driving the relay (which has a coil current of 69mA) and 3 prox switches. The only data I can find on these switches is that they have an "output current" of 300ma.
    So does that mean 300 x 3 + 69 = 969ma, e.g. Just less than 1A so ok ?

3. The relay I've got did not have a base. Would it be ok to mount the relay upside down and use spade connector crimps ?

4. Is it worth it to run earth fly leads from panel to panel in my multi-panel case. It is painted so there is no conductivity between some of the panels.
    1. The diode is ok and the line goes to the +ve side.
    2. The transformer is ok for what you are using it for. the switches will only pull a few mA each
    3. I would buy a base from Ebay it will be easer to change if it goes faulty and it will also support the relay.
    4. You need to make sure that they are earthed to each other you could scratch the paint off between the bolt and nut heads and use star washers.
    Last edited by Clive S; 02-12-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Clive answered eveything but I'll just check on this.?

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    4. Is it worth it to run earth fly leads from panel to panel in my multi-panel case. It is painted so there is no conductivity between some of the panels
    If you are running wires to Star Earth point then the cases being connected shouldn't matter because your not using them for Earth. You should however tie them to the Star Earth for safety in case of short circuit.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 02-12-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    can't believe MD or anyone would position any switch not to mention Prox switches so they could be crashed into.!
    I can, when I consider the design of the rest of the machine !!!!

Or you could buy these proximity switches http://www.worldofcnc.com/collection...ty-home-switch

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Clive answered eveything but I'll just check on this.?

If you are running wires to Star Earth point then the cases being connected shouldn't matter because your not using them for Earth. You should however tie them to the Star Earth for safety in case of short circuit.
    The whole point about Star earthing is that it avoids earth loops. If you have shielded wires in a earth loop, you can get a current flowing in the shield due to different magnetic fields at places in the loop. This will act as half a transformer, with the signal wire being the other half. This could generate spurious signals and affect the machine in unpredictable ways. In audio applications, with high impedance inputs to pre-amplifiers, this is immediately obvious as hum.

It does no harm to earth cases, in fact from a safety point of view, it is essential. I would also protect the mains input to the box(es) with an RCD. 30ma up your arm for 10 milliseconds is a lot more pleasant than it going up in smoke !!

From the safety aspect - if your Estop is a NC switch then any break in the circuit signals as an Estop condition. A NO system, if it fails will not show a fault and not work when you need it.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Or you could buy these proximity switches http://www.worldofcnc.com/collection...ty-home-switch
    Good profit margin then
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks Clive.

14pin 10A 24v relay sockets seem to be rarer than hens teeth.
    I am thinking I am going to 3d print a bracket to firmly hold it upside down and solder / heat shrink my connections, purely because I can do it now without buying anything or waiting.
    There are no LED's on it, so that's not a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151202_200957.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	16674

This is a picture of the relay I've got.

I realise that I need to use 9,10,11,12 pins for one side of my switch connections.
    Do I use 1,2,3,4 or 5,6,7,8 for the other side? Anyway to tell ?

EDIT : Just noticed that you can look at the side of the relay and see which pins are doing what.

Thinking out loud - When the coil is not powered I want the switches to open and break the circuits.
    Suppose I could test when i've got my 24v psu up and running.

Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by mturneruk; 02-12-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    14pin 10A 24v relay sockets seem to be rarer than hens teeth.
    Look at AC3592 on page 138

http://asp-gb.secure-zone.net/v2/index.jsp?id=1816/2360/9875&lng=en&startPage=138
    Last edited by cropwell; 02-12-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information