. .
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hey guys. So I have decided to go with the easy solution from CNC4YOU. They have not done me wrong yet. I know it means that I will not be driving my motors at top speed, but it's simple and I understand it. I will be able to run at 2 - 3 m / minute which is adequate for what i need.

I'm going for a UC300 motion controller which i know works, breakout board, 600Watt 48V power supply and CNC4YOU CWD556 drivers which CNC4YOU actually designed and they guarantee it will work nicely with that power supply. May not be the best solution, but it's affordable, in the UK and guaranteed.

Thanks for all your help.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    I will be able to run at 2 - 3 m / minute which is adequate for what i need.
    You may think that now but if your cutting woods or plastics I guarantee you that your cutting it wrong and 2-3mtr/min isn't nearly fast enough and you will want more in the future.!!

I understand your relutance to shop outside UK but honestly there nothing to fear and the AM882 drives blow those Drives away on performance. Also if your planning on using a slaved axis setup then they have Stall detection feature which is something you'll wish you had the first time one motor stalls and the other keeps on going turning your gantry into twizzler..

I could continue with other reasons why to not go with that setup but you seem to be settled so I'll leave you to learn your way.!! . . . I'll just leave you with this thought WE are not trying to SELL anything with our Advise or Recomondations.?

Who told you that they designed the CWD556? I can tell you that these are just copies of other copies of leadshine drivers, and the most that they designed was the label that they had printed onto the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    Hey guys. So I have decided to go with the easy solution from CNC4YOU. They have not done me wrong yet. I know it means that I will not be driving my motors at top speed, but it's simple and I understand it. I will be able to run at 2 - 3 m / minute which is adequate for what i need.

I'm going for a UC300 motion controller which i know works, breakout board, 600Watt 48V power supply and CNC4YOU CWD556 drivers which CNC4YOU actually designed and they guarantee it will work nicely with that power supply. May not be the best solution, but it's affordable, in the UK and guaranteed.

Thanks for all your help.
    Martin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dodgygeeza For This Useful Post:

Hey guys. I bow to your superior knowledge.
    However I went with CNC4YOU for the following reasons.

1. They have really good documentation and clear wiring diagrams which i understand.
    2. They are in the UK. I can phone them if I get stuck.
    3. They give me a proper guarantee, not some promise in badly written English with RTB warranty which makes it not worth it anyway.
    4. They ship next day. I will have it all tomorrow.
    5. I understand the UC300 and I know it works. Also I can try out their mach3 alternative which looks good. I am hoping to get the 0-10v working at some point, but not critical.
    6. I can afford it.
    7. I won't get stung for import duty. Last time I ordered £500 of RC kit from China, I had to pay £100 import tax, and I decided then not to do that again.

I was very tempted by the pokeys 57 CNC, but I think it's quite new and I could not find anyone selling it in the UK.

Have you ever had a stalled Axis?
    I never had that on my last machine, and I never even knew that was possible until you just mentioned it.
    I can see that it would be bad on my new machine. It's looking really heavy duty and it's going to weigh a ton.
    Going to need a stronger bench!

What speeds do you run at when cutting ply or similar?
    I thought 2m per minute was fast! I am hoping to be able to make 5mm deep cuts per pass in pine with a 6mm cutter running at about 2m per minute, and cut 3-12mm aluminium (Don't care how fast).

So once again thanks for your help. When my machine blows up you can tell me you told me so.
    Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by mturneruk; 24-11-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Hey guys.

Any chance I could bother you for your input again.
    Worried about my enclosure being to small, and getting EMI noise problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enclousure.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	16636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schematic.png 
Views:	6091 
Size:	808.7 KB 
ID:	16637

1. Is the VFD in this enclosure a problem?

Motion control and Breakout board would be mounted on a shelf above the drivers.
    I have bought belden shielded mains cable for mains wiring within the enclosure.
    I will also use the shielded belden cable for connection to the spindle - Should it be grounded both ends i have read contradictory advice?

2. Should i be using shielding the power / signal lines to the stepper drivers from the transformer / breakout board within the enclosure ?

3. Does my grounding look right in the schematic ?

Thanks for any tips.
    Martin

Way too small., you will need something at least double the size, also a fan to move some air about and no problem with having the inverter in the box.

That looks far too tight, the drivers will need space between them for cooling and the vfd needs a certain clearance round it for cooling. You'll struggle to get shielded cables bent round those small clearances.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Martin

Have you thought about how you will operated the VFD controls, in my opinion I would not mount the VFD inside the control box.
    All the grounding sheaths should go to one central point ie star to avoid ground loops. The drivers should not be daisy chained like you have shown take each driver supply back to the PS. It is generally not needed to screen the signal wires (I tend to use cat5) You don't show any E-stop.
    Keep the cables from the drivers to the steppers as far away as possible from any signal wires.
    Good luck with the build.
    Last edited by Clive S; 26-11-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys.

Is it to small because of EMI or because of heat ?

It's vented and i was going to chuck a couple of fans on it.

I decided that all cables in the box would be shielded.

Also i was going to make cut outs around the VFD and 3d print some additional vent covers to increase airflow.

I am planning on removing the touch buttons from the VFD which comes off as a unit attached to a ribbon cable and mounting that on the outside...

Not arguing with you, just wanted to understand the logic.

Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by mturneruk; 26-11-2015 at 02:20 PM.

I'd say its too small because of heat and trying to wire the components. I'm presuming that you're going to put an E-Stop (or "OH SHITTTTT......!!!") Button in somewhere in your system for safety? If so you'll need a relay....how about fuses to protect the VFD, drives, PSU? There doesn't seem enough room for all of that?

There's always more components than you initially think which take up more room than you've allowed for...called sods law :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information