. .
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    If you think you might be able to advise me on how to improve my set-up that would be great.
    Where about's are you?

Thanks
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    Can anyone tell me what materials block noise?
    Conductive and earthed ones, that's why metal boxes are the norm. Ferro magnetic ones are best.
    Last edited by cropwell; 20-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.

I ordered 3 rolls of copper shielding adhesive tape today.
    My plan is to stick that all over the inside of my wooden box.

And possibly have metal shielding between the various internal sections as well.
    Hopefully that will do the job.

Following a very kind visit from Komatias, he suggested that I may have a ground loop.
    So before I go off building a new box I am going to to try his suggestions, and see if I can't get rid of my Gremlins that way.

However the machine is now working well enough to make these. My fist commission!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160121_151122.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	17329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160121_151048.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	17330

Thanks to all of you lovely people who helped me to get my machine going!

Dod you have a chance to sort your groundloop out?
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Hey George.

I decided to run a little bit more to see how often the problem occurred and see if I could spot a pattern. E.g. Did it always happen under load ?

Well i have just run nearly 1/2 a million lines of GCode cutting a complex 3d model with 6mm and 3mm ball noses (in four batches) and I have not had one reset.
    I was getting really adventurous on the feed towards the end of the job. Ended up running at over 4000 mm / Minute.

I will keep an eye on it for now and record when and if I get resets.
    I will definitely run a separate bare earth wire to the machine through the dust collection PVC pipe to ensure static is not an issue and earth this to the machine as well. Then I can disconnect the shielding of the VFD cable at the machine end as you suggested.

One thing you said has definitely helped me and that is to make a note of my machines co-ordinates at my job Zero point.
    This allows me to check that my machine is absolutely in the right place for each session of machining i do, and return to my zero point if I should get a reset. Very good idea.

Will keep you posted.
    Thanks again.
    Martin
    Last edited by mturneruk; 30-01-2016 at 06:48 AM.

One thing you said has definitely helped me and that is to make a note of my machines co-ordinates at my job Zero point.
    This allows me to check that my machine is absolutely in the right place for each session of machining i do, and return to my zero point if I should get a reset. Very good idea.
    If you have Home switch's then you shouldn't have to do that.? The control software should allow you to save the WORK offset before each Job then it's simple case of HOME the machine if you E-stop or Reset. That's the whole purpose of HOME switches so you can return and have multiple WORK offsets and easily go to them using Gcode.

No machine should be without HOME switches IMO they are priceless at times.

Martin,

sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If you have Home switch's then you shouldn't have to do that.? The control software should allow you to save the WORK offset before each Job then it's simple case of HOME the machine if you E-stop or Reset. That's the whole purpose of HOME switches so you can return and have multiple WORK offsets and easily go to them using Gcode.

No machine should be without HOME switches IMO they are priceless at times.
    Yup just like I told him. Very important point there too, when you reset or e-stop, you must always assume you have lost position.

Martin is using UCCNC so I could not help with saving the work offsets like you would in Mach. Never used it myself.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Thanks Chaps.

Jazz I have home switches. Prox sensors.
    UCCNC is very similar to Mach, just without so many bells and whistles.

In the past I have been plunging into my workpiece at Job 0,0 to make a point so if I lost position for what ever reason, i could manually by eye line up again.
    Not very accurate and not very satisfactory.

Just reading the UCCNC manual and yes there is a way to save offsets, something I haven't ever really understood.
    In fact its a single button press to "Offset Current Position". I will test, but I assume this saves the current position as a job Zero point relative to the machine co-ordinates.

One thing I was very happy with is that after two hours of running, the machine went back to the zero point and it looked exactly right.
    The machine co-ordinates were also exactly as they were when I started. So accuracy is looking good.

I will at some point put a homing switch on my A axis as well to ensure my gantry is square.

One thing I have just decided is that there is no business in 3d machining wooden stuff. It takes so long!
    I have been making a complex mirror frame and it has taken me all week. Each side of the frame took 3 hours machining.
    Something tells me that 3d machining is also very hard on the machine as all 4 motors are working flat out for long periods.

Back to the drawing board on the business front.
    Do either of you guys know of people making stuff and making it pay ?
    I guess you have to find a niche.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by mturneruk; 30-01-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Just reading the UCCNC manual and yes there is a way to save offsets, something I haven't ever really understood.
    In fact its a single button press to "Offset Current Position". I will test, but I assume this saves the current position as a job Zero point relative to the machine co-ordinates.
    Yes I know that's why I said it. I do have UCCNC but don't use it. Mainly because there boards are USB not because the software isn't any good. It's Ok software but a little basic for me.

OFFSET's are easy really.! You just have to get your head around the fact you have 2 Coordinate systems. MACHINE & WORK.
    WORK coordinates are variable and you can define ZERO anywhere on your machine bed.
    MACHINE coordinates are FIXED and never change. Only way they can change is you move the HOME Switch.

WORK ZERO or correctly termed WORK OFFSET is just an OFFSET distance from the FIXED Machine ZERO Position. Save this OFFSET distance and you can always accurately get back into position by Homing the Machine and then sending to WORK ZERO.

Now where it can get a little Tricky is the Fact you can have Multiple WORK OFFSETS each having it's own unique ZERO Position. This is done using Special OFFSET G-codes G54, G55, G56 etc upto the limit of the controller.
    By default you are proably using G54 so never really are aware of the fact and by default your CAM software will be using G54 offset.

But lets say you wanted to cut 3 different jobs in 3 differant materials using same tool. First place each material on the bed and define Zero and save the offset for that material using one of the WORK OFFSET's codes.
    Then what you can do is produce individual G-code for each part. Then copy & paste into one Large file. At the start of each Job you enter the OFFSET code you have setup in advance. ie job #1=G54 #2=G55 #3=G56

Now when the code runs after first job it goes to next WORK OFFSET and starts again from the new Zero.

Try it using the MDI. First go to OFFSETs and enter different values in G54 and G55. Make sure machine is away from any of the coordinates you typed. Now Enter G54 G0 X0Y0 and it should go to that posiiton and DRO's will display ZERO's. Now type G55 G0X0 Y0 and it go to that position and the DRO's will read Zero's.!

Do either of you guys know of people making stuff and making it pay ?
    I guess you have to find a niche.
    Yes I know many but Can't tell you what they do because of client confidentiality.!!. . . . . Well I could but then I'd have to Elimnate you.!! . .
    Your right thou most are Niche markets and they earn well from them.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-01-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread Information