. .
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Got it. Thanks Jazz.

X and Y are cool. For me now it's just the Z that changes after each tool change.
    Have you got an automatic tool change system - Is that another ball game ?
    Where would i start with that ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160130_171922[1].jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	17429

I am (EDIT:: reasonably) pleased with this, but it took me a whole week to design and make. Hence the 1/2 million lines of gcode and 9 Hrs + machining.
    Onto the next idea...
    Do you think i could make these out of moulds using the CNC to make a plug?

Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by mturneruk; 30-01-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    Have you got an automatic tool change system - Is that another ball game ?
    Where would i start with that ?
    You start by taking out a Mortage and or selling the Wife. Then yes it's all new ball game. Not massively difficult but expensive and will require some coding or Macro writing. This is one of the reasons why UCCNC is restrictive because you can't easily take full control for things like ATC.

Quote Originally Posted by mturneruk View Post
    I am pleased with this, but it took me a whole week to make. 9 Hrs + machining.
    Looks very nice but 9hrs is nothing for 3D work. I've got people who makes things that take 12-18hrs minimum with Millions lines of code and are only 200x100 rectangles. I cut 6ft sq mural made in 4 pieces for school wall that each piece took 22hrs and ran continous.

As you get more experienced you'll be surprsied how much you can fetch Cycle times down. If your doing 3D jobs it's worth Re-tuning your motors biased towards acceleration rather than velocity. It will bring cycle times down considerably.

I was increasing my acceleration and velocity as I went along. Bit at a time.
    What i noticed was that the Z axis was the limiting factor, so i increased it, and then obviously my job completed faster, but I felt sorry for my machine. Everything was very warm. Spindle, steppers etc.
    Not boiling though, but very warm.

Also I only have one 3mm ball nose bit and i didn't want to break it. I roughed with a 6mm ball 2.5mm stepover, 5mm DOC and then finished with a 3mm ball with a step over of 0.75mm.
    Forgetting the design I did, what is the optimum tool size / Stepover for this kind of thing?

Something tells me it's better to design something that allows you to use a bigger tool.
    Last edited by mturneruk; 30-01-2016 at 08:38 PM.

One other thing was that the amount of clean up I had to do was a significant pain in the ass. I wondered if running the spindle faster or slower might reduce that. I tried a range of speeds, but settled on about 15000 as it sounded nice.

PS. Can't sell the wife, she looks after the kids while i'm CNC'ing.
    Last edited by mturneruk; 30-01-2016 at 08:46 PM.

check out www.diycnc.co.uk
    spindle v5 might be your answer

I would like to thank mturneruk, Jazz and eceryone else for the amount of information contained within this entry.
    I am at the same position as mturnerUK and just building my control panel and using Jazz's wiring diagram.
    Will post images as the build goes on (own thread) but the information has been priceless ;-)
    Thanks,
    Ian

Hi Guys
    I wish i had found this thread, before i started buying bits for my Isel 2018 conversion, I have spent a few hundred this week and after reading this for first time im regretting 90% of it, I have working steppers on machine and today removed them to replace for ones with wiring colours i can make parallel, I have 8 wire ones now but dont know enough to guess at where wires go

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-m View Post
    Hi Guys
    I wish i had found this thread, before i started buying bits for my Isel 2018 conversion, I have spent a few hundred this week and after reading this for first time im regretting 90% of it, I have working steppers on machine and today removed them to replace for ones with wiring colours i can make parallel, I have 8 wire ones now but dont know enough to guess at where wires go

Steve
    Do you have a link to them and a list of the colours?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

hi thank you for reply,

here is what im doing http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/11184...18-or-Educam20

here is a link to the only data sheet i can find data sheet, Sorry Lee

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...6/83328.attach
    Last edited by Steve-m; 13-08-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added info

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread Information