. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As non of us post much in the way of what we have actually made with the machines we make, (Probably because we all believe we are going to be millionaires with our ideas, and we are too scared of somebody pinching them) I figured it may be a good idea to create a thread where we can all share links, pictures etc all related to stuff made on cnc. This will help inspire and motivate all of us, whatever stage we are in our journey further into this common ground we all share?

(sounds a bit american)

anyway, il start with this ive just seen on kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s?ref=category

lots of inspiration there (especially for those of us who have smaller hobby based rigs, scratching around for something small to make)
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 25-11-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Not quite as fancy as the trains etc in the link but this is what I started making about 4 years ago (!). It's my own design and should look like a Spitfire when complete.

Formers being cut out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrades 009.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	16633

Tailplane:

Name:	spitfire 005.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	16630

Fuselage:

Name:	spitfire 007.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	16631

Fin:

Name:	spitfire 009.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	16632

Cutting out some bits on the old cnc machine:

I've since gone through 2 cnc machine upgrades since these photos were taken and various workshop improvements. The CNC side has dragged me in - so much so that when I showed some pictures of my current CNC machine to a friend recently and he said what do you make with it? I had to pause and think a bit, before remembering it was originally designed to make balsa and liteply bits for RC planes.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    It's my own design and should look like a Spitfire when complete.
    Hopefully not looking like this One.. .

Name:	spitfire.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	16634

routercnc - thats exactly what im talking about. excellant inspiring pictures!! brillian! Its these very pictures, that will inspire all of us of the potential possibilities of these money pits.

ive just sunk another £160 notes on my project. everybody keeps asking me what am I going to make with it... (I still dont know!!)

all, please keep the pictures coming. its about time this forum had some "fruit" content!, to counterbalance all the labour!.
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 27-11-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    routercnc - thats exactly what im talking about. excellant inspiring pictures!! brillian! Its these very pictures, that will inspire all of us of the potential possibilities of these money pits.

ive just sunk another £160 notes on my project. everybody keeps asking me what am I going to make with it... (I still dont know!!)

all, please keep the pictures coming. its about time this forum had some "fruit" content!, to counterbalance all the labour!.
    Hi Matt

Your suggestion is a good idea in my book. Perhaps there will one day be like a drawing, tool or idea of the week!

All the best

Suesi

Here's something I'm starting to build.....

Name:	IMG_20151104_162904796.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	16646

And when I've cut all 14 sheets of 3mm lite ply (600mm x x400mm) and assembled it should look something like this...

Name:	Marabu.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	16647

Also making Ridge Runt RC glider short kits and Fournier RF4 short kits which I'm selling on eBay at the moment....

Name:	IMG_20151025_151450538.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	16648

shortly to expand the range to include my take on an Ugly Stick RC plane and an old timer 3/4 Ch plane.....lots more planned!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

It's a carbide single flute 2mm cutter, can't use a 3mm as the slots are 3mm (would leave too much trimming of the slots to make them square) and some holes are 2mm. I've tried 2 flute cutters but they lift the balsa and ply too much. Also if I go much faster the splined joints don't fit as well. I'm still learning so no doubt feeds will increase once I get used to it!
    Neil...

Build log...here

About two years ago shortly after the purchase and repair of an old SCM 120 router my friend (who has a fibreglass works) showed me a schematic drawing of a Boeing 787 dreamliner and asked if I could make a 1:6.5 scale "plug" (pattern) for it. Of course I can I replied, convinced that he would never get the order for it - well I was wrong!!!
    Anyway, to cut a long story short I decided how the model would be built, drew it up using alphacad, machined the components and with the help of my friend and his workers built up the model in sections. Fibreglass moulds were taken from the pattern and three complete models were built, delivered and erected on the roundabout at Heathrow, terminal 4. I have shown some of the pictures to a couple of members of this site, but now that KC has started this thread I thought that I would share the project with forum members.
    As there are about 30 photos (I probably have 100or more!!!) I would like to post I shall taken it easy on you all and just post a few at a time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0193.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	482.0 KB 
ID:	16694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0198.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	16695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0215.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	415.9 KB 
ID:	16696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0231.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	16697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0245.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	16698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0279.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	326.1 KB 
ID:	16699
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 04-12-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Geoffrey..... Wow!! just wow!. What a fantastic achievement! What were the fiberglass planes used for in the end? you mention heathrow? Are they still on display?

Hate to say it neil, but this really pisses on your party. :rofl

Geoffrey, you cant go from nothing, to building these... Therefore I am assuming this is just one of the projects in your photo collection, so while you have it open .....

thanks for sharing.

That's fantastic!! Agree with you Matt mine pales into insignificance in comparison!!!! I think I remember seeing a plane on a roundabout when flying from Heathrow a couple of years ago?

Now if they made larger model jet engines......
    Last edited by njhussey; 05-12-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information