. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Sorry been offline
    Looking better now great work
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Does this count?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08774.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	702.4 KB 
ID:	16886

Not so much inspiration as needing to get on with it!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Of course it counts Jonathan, it looks great, but lets see it in action now. G.

Couple of little projects I made a few weeks back - thought I'd share them here.

First up is a DTI holder to make it easier to clock the vice.

Started with a scrap bit of aluminium and marked it out, drilled some holes, and did a trial fit:
    Attachment 16991

Seems OK so trimmed it to size:
    Attachment 16992

And there we are. Makes clocking the vice a bit easier - I used various clamps and bolts before and it took a while to set up. Now it is ready in moments:
    Attachment 16993

Second little project is a touch probe. This is a piece if PCB board superglued to a block of aluminium. The PCB provides electrical isolation from the machine bed (otherwise the probe would be active all the time). I glued it to the block to give it some weight to hold it in place, and the PCB was not super flat.
    I've already glued the board to the block, and sized the block around the perimeter prior to this photo.

Here is the block depth being skimmed to as close to 10mm as possible. Actual dimension is not critical as long as it is flat but 10mm is easy to remember!
    Attachment 16994

Then I soldered on a cable, and used a sleeve to finish it off. The other cable had a crocodile clip added to clip to the spindle mount to make the circuit when probing.

Here is it in use to set the Z height from the surface. I use mach3 screenset 2010 and tell the software that the block is 10mm thick. Then in the probing function hit one button and it does the probing and sets it all automatically.

Attachment 16995

I've also used in to set the X and Y zero on the edges of parts but it can be tricky to hold it in position whilst probing. Sometimes it will sit nicely on the vice jaw.
    I'm sure many of you have your own versions - let's see them !

> Hi Lee, if you manage to catch this post would you be able to put it on the end of this 'inspiration' one? Only occurred to me after I'd posted that it would be better there. No worries if not:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/9273-...small+projects
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3637.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	17017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3641.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	384.8 KB 
ID:	17018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3657.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	17019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3647.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	17020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3651.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	17021  
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I'll take this a bit more seriously now ... will try to make a post every week or so with something different I have made, as there are plenty of things. Lets go in date order and exclude things I've posted elsewhere on the forum, so starting in 2009/10, here is the wind turbine I made as my A-level DT project:

Name:	3m_variable_pitch_wind_turbine (Large).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	17023

This is the project that caused me to make my first CNC router - so I could make the blades for this wind turbine. Six years later and I've still not made the blades, but I found plenty of other things to do with the machine!

Hi All,

I had better add a contribution to this thread and here's my latest project using the CNC machine. The first video is me droning on about the CAD and CAM side of creating a Fender Jaguar neck and the second is machining said neck once modeled:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Washout For This Useful Post:

oohh i do like a nice youtube video... watched them all on your channel, subscribed and eager for more. keep up the good work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kingcreaky For This Useful Post:

Hey Guys Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration it certainly does make a difference and everything I have seen looks fantastic. The main problem I have is too many hobbies and would love to make all of these things but I guess I should finish my machine first. Hey Matt well done on starting this thread it is a great Idea I still have the sample piece that you made when I was with you on my desk as an inspiration too.
    Thanks

Rob

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Can't say I've been making anything "easy" like planes and guitars but, apart from a few signs/ plaques and a real badly designed butter dish, I've been making a few of these:

Name:	led.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	395.0 KB 
ID:	17143

Started with HDPE bases, but moved to black and silver Dibond. Much better and very "hard" to make ;)

One of the first things I made with my CNC router, with some help from my mill, a water cooling block for an i7 processor:

Name:	i7_heatsink.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	17147

The funny colour is from the anodising.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information