. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would like to lower the tone a bit here... These intricate/large etc models and so on are great, but I tend to find myself a bit discouraged sometimes by seeing beautiful bits of work from others. So, to counter this, and to show something much, much simpler but which goes down well as stocking-filler type gifts at Christmas, here are this year's coffee-table coasters. A set of these separates into individual pieces, but form a conversation-starting jigsaw when assembled. I was originally inspired to make these by the blog I found which described one man's efforts to tile his hall and sitting room with larger versions of the same design. Came out well, too. Mine are in sapele, and show what can be cut with a 3-year-old MDF router that's only just about hanging together still.

Here's mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lizards 2.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	16707

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I have seen that vid of he guy in is hall it looked good, have you drawn the dxf.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Yes, I remember that post, I think gavtheouch was going to do his caravan floor like that. Neale, I think that work is great, and the idea of scaling it to make table mats, coasters etc. was very clever. Your work looks lovely and does indeed show just what can be achieved even with an mdf build. I have often said that I love all CNC machines and I am still amazed at what work can be produced - I just love the fact that it is possible to have an idea, design, draw, cut build and see the idea come to life. Most of the work that I do involves very small pieces, and I had no intention of ever showing the dreamliner build on here until KC started his post. The last thing that I would want to do is "rain on anyones parade". I would also like to add that I think the aztec calendars that have been made and displayed on this site are far superior to any of my own work. G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    The last thing that I would want to do is "rain on anyones parade". I would also like to add that I think the aztec calendars that have been made and displayed on this site are far superior to any of my own work. G.
    Geoffrey you keep doing the pouring mate and we'll do the drinking nothing you can say or post could upset anyone only inspire.!

Aztec calender does look very complex but in reality it's so simple it's laughable. . . Does blow peoples mind thou first time they cut it.!! . . . It also finds the weakness of machine quick enough. Infact This is the reason I first scaled it down from the original size of 24" to 6" and cut it in aluminium because it makes the perfect test after setting up machines. It's also great to show buyer what that actual machine can do.!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I have seen that vid of he guy in is hall it looked good, have you drawn the dxf.
    Yes, I found I had to. There are quite a few variations on the same theme, all based on the original "Reptiles" by Escher, but when you look closely none of them quite work (or, at least, none of the designs I found). So I did my own drawing, based around a hexagonal tessellation. But that's probably as much mathematical theory as anyone wants on this forum, so let's just say it took a while to get it right. Then import into Vectric vCarve to do the CAM stuff.

I agree wholeheartedly with Geoffrey's comments - there is nothing quite so satisfying as taking an idea from first idle thoughts to finished item, and for those of us whose hand skills aren't as well-developed as they might be, CNC routers (and 3D printers, come to that) are a great way to achieve this. I built my current router because I had promised a presentation plaque to my local twinning association, and then had to build the router to be able to make it. So, my inspiring comment for the day - just b****y do it!

Well its time now to post the remaining pictures of the dreamliner models at Heathrow. After the patterns were finished moulds were taken and mouldings produced, a steel frame (by others) was fabricated and the steelwork was bonded into the fuselage, wings and tailplane. The fuselage and tailplane sections of the model were bonded together, the wings and engines were trial assembled, but removed for transport. I made shadow masks for the cabin window lights to shine through, fixed to internal light boxes containing LED lighting strips. Cockpit, wingtip and tail lights were also fitted. The aircraft were painted in ETIHAD colours and livery vynals were added. I supplied a dxf of the window shadow masks to allow the vynal chaps to supply a mask for the windows prior to painting. As I said earlier,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img202.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	811.7 KB 
ID:	16710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img204.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	16711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0567.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	399.0 KB 
ID:	16712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0571.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	582.5 KB 
ID:	16713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0593.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	16714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Etihad-roundabout-5.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	16715
    six months after the planes were errected they were dismantled and returned to the paintshop for the new livery. I have used the dusk photograph of the three planes as screen wallpaper on all three of my computers!!! G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 06-12-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add picture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Etihad-roundabout-5.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	307.5 KB 
ID:	16715
    Well, as Geoffrey (or as he shall now be affectionately known as "the dark horse")

has laid the benchmark, (the three f*cking planes outside of heathrow). My expectations from the rest of you frequenters (who still havent posted) has been set.

Bring on the photos boys.

Thanks for sharing Geoffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi Neil,

Good to see some liteply being cut - very satisfying to plug bits together using the tabs etc. and have it build almost in your hands. I know what you mean about mixing the inside profile and outside profile in CAM toolpaths. So easy to do and very annoying!

It's been a while since I cut that material (more aluminium recently, plus some MDF and thick plywood) but my cutting speeds were much faster than that and quality was OK. Worth experimenting a bit more? I don't have much time in the workshop so time is precious.

What cutter is that? I use a 2 'blade' TCT 3mm super cheap e-bay bit and it works fine.

Thanks
    Barry.....sped it up a bit....this better?!

Last edited by njhussey; 09-12-2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Neil looking much better federate now. keep up the good work.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Neil looking much better federate now. keep up the good work.
    Cheers Clive
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information