. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I've also been using Fusion 360 but so far, only for the CAD side of it, not CAM. I did want to try it out on a couple of little MDF components that I wanted to cut as profiles (nothing fancy) but I went back to vCarve once I'd produced a DXF file as I couldn't find any way in F360 to automatically generate holding tabs. In vCarve, this is trivially easy and there are plenty of options about how/where/what shape. Maybe this is the difference between an aimed-at-woodworkers and an aimed-at-engineers product? Anyway, it's the silly little kind of thing that might be relevant to the OP, given the kinds of work his wife wants to do.

Unless anyone can tell us how to easily generate holding tabs in F360? I'd really like to know!
    I found it by mistake previously.

2D Contour Operation > Geometry > TABS

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Sometimes this forum is worth its weight in gold! Many thanks for that. I spent quite a bit of time searching the help files and never found mention. I suspect that if I try the same search again, I'll be drowning in references - now I know it's there!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

OK guys I have been doing a lot of looking still nchpurchase but have upped the budget to about 1k I have looked at stepcraft v2 s600.

Put a package together consisting of it a kress spindle and vcarve and cut2d together with their USB controller and card.

Can someone advise me if this is a good idea?
    At just over a grand am I getting hoodwinked?

Tia

I would not say hoodwinked. You will be under powered if you think the stepper motors on the 600 are what we use on 3d printers. So it is basically a sign engraving machine for use with plastics. The Kress is good an the USB board is good.

Personal opinion though is that you would be better suited with something else. Unfortunately your budget is your limitation so you may be better buying something used.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    I would not say hoodwinked. You will be under powered if you think the stepper motors on the 600 are what we use on 3d printers. So it is basically a sign engraving machine for use with plastics. The Kress is good an the USB board is good.

Personal opinion though is that you would be better suited with something else. Unfortunately your budget is your limitation so you may be better buying something used.

You dont think this machine will do the job? Too slow or just not good enough quality?

Do you know of places selling pre owned?

Also i dont have a clue to be honest, Can any machine be set up via usb? Laptop is just handier with limited space.

Thanks

If you are looking for a business machine then you will need to pay business pricing unfortunately and of course there is a steep learning curve.

For preowned stuff, keep an eye on the classifieds in this forum. People usually sell good stuff, if they don't they get shot down in short order. The next would be ebay. It is variable in terms of quality but good machines usually have good descriptions. We all do our ebay searches now and then so if something the community feels would suit you, I am sure we will let you know

Traditionally, DIY CNC machines worked off parallel ports or serial ports depending on the manufacturer. Things have evolved though so you cannot find parallel or serial ports on laptops. The motion control would be done by the computer and it would send pulses to the stepper drivers. Depending on the make of the machine and if it comes with its own control software, your USB dongle or motion controller, effectively does the same thing. It receives data packages from the software that it converts to pulses that in turn tell the drivers to rotate the motors in this direction for so many steps.
    In theory, any machine can work with USB if you add the required electronics.

Now regarding the Stepcraft: I looked at the videos and they all look good but the machine seems distinctly hobby. The stepper motors are smaller than the ones you get on the basic chinese ones (which does not fill me with confidence), the rolling elements are wheels on special aluminium extrusion and it has trapezoidal lead screws. It works and I am sure the support will be good (do your own research on this) but it will not be churning out the letters at any decent rate. I think 18mm py would really push the limits of this machine in terms of longevity.

Are you planning on small quantity production? I am thinking that it may be worth asking some waterjet cutters for a quotation. Unfortunately professional routing companies charge quite a bit, waterjet is faster, requires minimal setup and is so quick you can cut paper without it getting wet. Otherwise, laser, but laser on thick ply will leave charring.

Regards
    George
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

These austrian machines look the same as the cheap chinese parts. No good guides, maybe acme screws. All in all the same weak thing. Maybe the electronics are good, but the rest isn't. On their website, they have a small proxxon with 25W Motor on it. If you want engraving with 0,2mm doc that is enough, but for a real work, no way.
    For small hobby use, you can buy such a machine, but if you want really produce parts on it, you need a much more capable machine, similiar to the machine I have recommended it before.
    Last edited by uli12us; 15-12-2015 at 11:08 AM.

What about an openbuilds OX kit ?
    http://ooznest.co.uk/OX-CNC-Machine

It was my first machine and was great for the money.

Will cost you about £1000 by the time you've finished it, but its a great little hobby machine.
    You will be able to cut about 1 to 3mm at a time depending on bit size and material.

You have to build it though...

Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by mturneruk; 16-12-2015 at 09:31 PM.

mturneruk how did you get on with the OX Kit am looking at buying one and can't seem to find any reviews.
    Cheers
    John

You need to check out the Open builds forums.
    http://www.openbuilds.com/

That is the home of the OX.
    oozenest is a UK reseller of the OX kits and parts in the UK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information