. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi,

So I would like to get a larger mill that is designed mainly for cutting Aluminium. This means high speed spindle and fairly quick feed rates.

Heavily inspired by this design (http://uk.dmgmori.com/blob/172034/d7...0-pdf-data.pdf), see pages 4 to 7, I came up with the following design. This is also very similar to the Ultimaker 3D printer design where you have a 'box' and you keep all the movement on top and place everything centrally over the table.

The design is drawn using 1605 Leadscrews (C5 grade) and 400W Servo Motors (4, 5 or 6) - Cant decide if Z and Y need 2nd screws or not. Rails are Hiwin 20 (for Z) and 25 for X and Y.

The spindle will be a 4KW Chinese Watercooled spindle.

Cutting size based on the design is around X and Y - 600 mm x 600 mm x 250 mm.

For the frame, I want to look at using something 'interesting' like Epoxy Granite or something similar. For any parts that are needed, these will be done out of either steel or aluminium.

Thoughts / critique welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by Chaz; 29-11-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Chaz - can't help with any of your questions but I've seen that you are using Fusion 360 for this design. I'm using the same thing (and gradually getting to grips with it) although I haven't looked at any fancy renderings yet! However, can you give a pointer to a source of the Hiwin carriages and rails? Are these from Hiwin, and what drawing format works for you?

Thanks,

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Chaz - can't help with any of your questions but I've seen that you are using Fusion 360 for this design. I'm using the same thing (and gradually getting to grips with it) although I haven't looked at any fancy renderings yet! However, can you give a pointer to a source of the Hiwin carriages and rails? Are these from Hiwin, and what drawing format works for you?

Thanks,
    Hi, how did you know it was Fusion? Hehe.

There is a place that I found the CAD documents on .... I import them as STEP file IIRC.

http://hiwin.partcommunity.com/ - you need to register, quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Hi, how did you know it was Fusion? Hehe.
    Because you mentioned it in another post! I thought the question fitted better here, though. Many thanks for the answer - I'll go take a look.

I have to say that things like F360 make 3D CAD much more accessible even to a novice amateur like me, and your pictures above are a great demonstration of what can be done.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I have just been watching a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GBpUZ3piY If you have used SW it seems very easy to use. I am impressed and will give it a try.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Any comments on my mill design ;p ?

Hi Chaz,

Some thoughts -
    1.The plates which hang off the Y axis (and hold the Y bearings) look weak as they cantilevered off the side.
    2. How will you clamp the spindle? Are you planning on using grub screws? Not sure that is a good idea.
    3. Are you only using 1 bearing per rail on the Z axis? I would use 2 per rail.
    4. I would use 2 screws on Y to get the most out of a machine like this.
    5. 2 screws in Z is worth looking at but it takes up Y travel and I think one screw is still pretty good.

I've also been working on a new design over the past few weeks based on the DMG Mori - here is my attempt so far:

Iso metric:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc_mk14_iso.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	16658

Side:

Name:	cnc_mk14_side.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	16659

Top:

Name:	cnc_mk14_top.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	16660

Y axis:

Name:	cnc_mk14_Yaxis.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	16661

Box Z axis:

Name:	cnc_mk14_Zaxis.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	16662

Underside of Z axis showing spindle clamped by front plate:

Name:	cnc_mk14_Zaxis_under.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	16663
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Yes, forget it. How big should the machine be?
    That dubious concept isn't as easy as it looks. I think they have a gantry Axe on Y (if the normal X-Y is correct) only, because Hermle have a patent for a centralised Spindle. Gantry have no advantage against 1 spindle in the middle, except in a really large machine.
    And your control must handle 3 of it. Can it do this.
    The same for X and Z. This construction is ok, if you have a spindle with a ton or more. If not its much too complicated.
    And the Z axe don't work, you have 4 guiding carriage (I hope the word is correct, the slider on the linear guide) 4 or eventually 3 is correct, but not in these layout.
    You need 2 sliders per linear guide. And if you want 4 side by side each must
    parallel within a rather tight tolerance.
    If its for yourself and you don't want to sell it, then you can make it with a central spindle.

A gantry spindle brings no advantage, but much more effort, each Motor and driver must bought double.

The concept with the u-shaped bed is good, but all other too complicated. Unfortunately I don't know, how I can add a pdf-file.

Quote Originally Posted by uli12us View Post
    Yes, forget it. How big should the machine be?
    That dubious concept isn't as easy as it looks. I think they have a gantry Axe on Y (if the normal X-Y is correct) only, because Hermle have a patent for a centralised Spindle. Gantry have no advantage against 1 spindle in the middle, except in a really large machine.
    And your control must handle 3 of it. Can it do this.
    The same for X and Z. This construction is ok, if you have a spindle with a ton or more. If not its much too complicated.
    And the Z axe don't work, you have 4 guiding carriage (I hope the word is correct, the slider on the linear guide) 4 or eventually 3 is correct, but not in these layout.
    You need 2 sliders per linear guide. And if you want 4 side by side each must
    parallel within a rather tight tolerance.
    If its for yourself and you don't want to sell it, then you can make it with a central spindle.

A gantry spindle brings no advantage, but much more effort, each Motor and driver must bought double.

The concept with the u-shaped bed is good, but all other too complicated. Unfortunately I don't know, how I can add a pdf-file.
    Thanks. I understand most of what is being said. Ill respond later when I have a bit more time regarding some questions.

Please email me the pdf - ctintinger at gmail dot com.

Thanks

Chaz,

You seem to have money to spend on this which is why I am keen to see what you come up with. My suggestion on the spindle arrangement is to make the box section adjustable so that you use two of the rails as data to bring the other two in to take up the tolerances.

Getting two carriages per rail should go without saying, but you may get away with two per rail on the back and one per rail on the front.

Do you have the powersupply for the 4KW spindle?
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information