. .

Thread: Totally new.

Lives in Huddersfield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-01-2016 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    Hello members, I am pleased to have found this forum as I do believe I'll be needing someone's help eventually. I'm attempting to get a hobby shop together so I can craft parts for my motorcycles, and other items that I believe I could re-engineer, repair or replace. I have little experience with lathes or mills but I have a passion to learn, and reading this forum I believe should boost my knowledge. My background has been electronics but have always built stuff in a DIY sense, now it's time to satisfy the more physical side of engineering and would consider looking at adding a small s/h CNC mill to the tools list, programing, and seeing the result of my imagination is the aim. I'm not expecting to achieve a result straight away, maybe within a year or two, much reading to do first. Be great to be able to give something back eventually too.

All the best, Jan.

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of information on the forum so should keep you busy for a while! If you've any questions then don't be afraid to ask no matter how "dumb" you think they are.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Huddersfield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-01-2016 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    Thanks Neil, and good luck with your CNC build.

Jan.

greetings Jan, what a friendly hello message!

Fill us in a bit more about the types of "motorcycle parts" you intend to be making? Not a motorcyclist myself (although tucked away in my lock-up I do have an old honda c70 project). You thinking one off parts? aluminium?, steel? or production? Whats inspired you?
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 03-12-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Thanks Neil, and good luck with your CNC build.

Jan.
    Cheers Jan, it's working, just not complete yet. Still got to finish off the wiring and add home/limit switches, make a frame to put it vertical, make a dust shoe.....the list goes on!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hello Kc, I own, or I am custodian of a few 70's bikes, one of which is a 1975 Suzuki RE5, this has a number of items that I wish to try to update or replicate without destroying it's odd looks. There are several items that would need to be milled out of aluminium or cast then machined but I think the easiest would be from solid, and if successful could interest fellow RE5 owners. Your C70 is still worth a bob or two, there are folk who would pay good money for it, for sure. I have some items that I hand carved out of steel that could benefit from a bit of lathe/mill work. I have recently built my man cave, just popping in the power cables, plastering, flooring yet to come. Like many on this forum we would like to make the dream a reality. I have a lathe, a Warco WM 250V-F that will live in the cave along with a mill yet to be sourced, this is where the forum will be helpful, so look forward to reading as much as possible before splashing out, any recommendations?

Best, Jan.

Stay with it Neil, the list can only get shorter.

Thread Information