. .
    Hi Guys

With your help I successfully built my V1 table and have been merry cutting pretty shapes for over a year. I'm now at the stage where I can redesign my table to remove the mistakes I made first time around.
    My BIG question is what are the downsides to having a table at approx 30deg off vertical rather than horizontal?
    I'm a bit restricted by space and V1 was made just a tad smaller than I had hoped for to try and fit the space, making it a full 4ftx4ft bed, but "stood up" would gain me some space and more table room..... but at what cost?
    I'm sure others have considered this, so will appreciate your thoughts - no doubt I'm overlooking something really basic..

Cheers
    Danny

Vertical is the way to go! My CNC will eventually be at 85° so more upright than yours. No real downsides, just maybe need to think of parking the gantry at the bottom to save strain and wear when not in use. Chips clear easier and its easier to get to the work as not leaning over the table (or kneeling in my case at the moment!!!) to fit it.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Dean (JAzzcnc) uses an almost vertical setup and has done for a long time. I think there has been one built on its side as well ie the gantry moving from right to left rather than up and down.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Well that was a better response than I expected. I was sure there was a big fundamental reason that most tables are horizontal. What a great result. I'll start drawing up v2.... and I may go to 85 degs.
    Thank you

this was about 85degs

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8242-...hlight=upright

regardless what orientation the machine is, you need to fix your material down to stop it moving when cutting, so to me (especially with wood) it doesnt make a blind bit of difference how the machine is orientated.

Thread Information