. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello all

I am needing a little advise please! I don't know about thread milling. What I am wanting is some blind holes in 316 thread milling to take a m12 thread. Could a 6mm deep hole be thread milled or is that just silly and totally impractical? The thread are just going to be little blanking caps just held on with a bit locktite.

Cheers now

Steve
    Last edited by suesi34e; 11-12-2015 at 02:56 AM.

Hi Steve
    No logical reason why you can't do it, hole will have to be flat bottom then i would undercut to slightly over thread dia with tool just clear of bottom of hole then run your thread.
    Regards
    Mike

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Hi mekanik
    I appreciate you taking the time to reply. It is great that can be done, I am a happy! Had it not have been feasible I would have been in for a pig of job.
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Steve

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    Hello all

I am needing a little advise please! I don't know about thread milling. What I am wanting is some blind holes in 316 thread milling to take a m12 thread. Could a 6mm deep hole be thread milled or is that just silly and totally impractical? The thread are just going to be little blanking caps just held on with a bit locktite.

Cheers now

Steve
    Could you not just epoxy the caps in? or do they need to be removed?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

You could also use a roll tap, just interpolate a flat bottom hole first then tap to depth. A roll tap would be cheaper than a thread milling cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgates1000 View Post
    You could also use a roll tap, just interpolate a flat bottom hole first then tap to depth. A roll tap would be cheaper than a thread milling cutter.
    Woukd nit fancy my chances of forming M12s in 316, the bugger galls to easily
    Be sure to get a threadmill that is big enough to cut the pitch you need. Bought a 6mm one the other day, can only do up to 1mm pitch....

A larger threadmill will do smaller pitches though may not be able to get into small holes
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to komatias For This Useful Post:

I've been looking into threadmills as it sounds like good sport ....anyone got a good source for them?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hi Steve
    You would be as well doing some test pieces first, as stated Stainless is a bugger.
    What's the application ?
    Regards
    Mike

Got mine at drill services.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

I have used thread Mills from wnt or cutwel, both supply quality tools. Roll tapping stainless isn't a problem if you use a good quality roll tap and plenty of rocol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information