. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi Mike,
    Tar very much for the thought and I don't think it is a silly question! I had tried to see it is was possible. Had I have known to cut the stud down prior to the whole assembly being welded up I could have. As for now I don't think I can get on the stud in anyway to cut it down it protrudes up through a large flat plate that is mirror polished so easy to scratch etc. I think I will just look a slightly larger pocket to hug the threads and stick it on like you said.
    Tar very much for the help
    Steve

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    hi Steve
    Have you thought about using stainless dome nuts that you would fit on a cylinder head, maybe thin them down a bit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

i own 3x tapmatic tappings head, but since switching to thread mills ive not used the tapping heads once.

thread mills are ace, the best thing ever.

granted i use m2 and m3 threadmills in ally, but i always get good results.

what you could try is altering the dia of the threadmill in the coding setup, so do a few passes getting deeper (or wider, till you reach the tools actual dia) and deeper till you have taken the correct amount of material off. the good thing with thread mills is you dont have to take the full depth of cut in one go.

hope this helps

Hi mekanik
    Thank you very much for the thought. I tried a dome nut but I just didn't suit the look of the parts so I moved away from it. I think after a good bit of figuring out I am getting there with the caps.
    Many thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    hi Steve
    Have you thought about using stainless dome nuts that you would fit on a cylinder head, maybe thin them down a bit.

Hi andy_con
    I like the idea of the thread mills and thank you very much for you advice. I just hope I don't go wrong a break a tool I don't have too many of them!
    Many thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    i own 3x tapmatic tappings head, but since switching to thread mills ive not used the tapping heads once.

thread mills are ace, the best thing ever.

granted i use m2 and m3 threadmills in ally, but i always get good results.

what you could try is altering the dia of the threadmill in the coding setup, so do a few passes getting deeper (or wider, till you reach the tools actual dia) and deeper till you have taken the correct amount of material off. the good thing with thread mills is you dont have to take the full depth of cut in one go.

hope this helps

Like I say do it in a couple of passes.

Make the treadmills dia bigger and you will only take a small amount of material away. Reduce the dia and you will start to take more material away.

Very simple

Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    Hi andy_con
    I like the idea of the thread mills and thank you very much for you advice. I just hope I don't go wrong a break a tool I don't have too many of them!
    Many thanks
    Steve

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for your help. I will see what I can do not sure how simple it will be!
    Many thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    Like I say do it in a couple of passes.

Make the treadmills dia bigger and you will only take a small amount of material away. Reduce the dia and you will start to take more material away.

Very simple

Very simple, spec sheet will give you exact dia of threadmill so just make it bigger

Many thanks for the help and advice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information