. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yeah that seems reasonable.

I see a few things I would change but rather than put into words it's easier to show you. Most Should be obvious but ask if not sure.

The reason for top rail being longer at each is to recover some wasted bed space plus makes machine shorter. Also allows gantry to ride past the end so can use end of machine for standing boards upright or fitting 4th axis across end if required. Long overhang would be rear short would be front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front frame.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	16880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isoframe.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	16881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	segmentframe.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	16882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sideFrame.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	16883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top frame.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	16884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explode.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	16885
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 21-12-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Dean,
    Thank you very much for your help I really appreciated.
    Smart way to increase the cutting area and add future use(4th axis)

Few questions and I think I am good to go.

Steel tubing for the whole base 60 x 60 x 5 ? Do you agree on that?

Length of the bed 2600 + 100 short overhang + 300 long overhang = 3000 total would that be o.k? Do the overhangs need to be braced?

What are the spacing of the cross members and the top rail supports in your drawings? No dimensions so I can't calculate.

Has anyone joined hiwin rails lengthwise let's say 1500 + 1500 to achieve 3000mm length. Is it doable for the home builder? ordering from BST automation 3000mm rails will make shipping cost way up.

Hopefully I will be start building in the beginning of January.

Quote Originally Posted by arg123 View Post
    Few questions and I think I am good to go.

Steel tubing for the whole base 60 x 60 x 5 ? Do you agree on that?
    Well kind of but only has a minimum. I'd be more inclined to go with 80x80x5 on such large machine but 60x60 will work fine.

Length of the bed 2600 + 100 short overhang + 300 long overhang = 3000 total would that be o.k? Do the overhangs need to be braced?

What are the spacing of the cross members and the top rail supports in your drawings? No dimensions so I can't calculate.
    Dimensions will depend on your needs and gantry etc. I only drew this frame to show you and save explaining via text.
    That said the dimensions I used where based on previous machines I've designed and are very close to those you mention.
    From memory the short overhang was 150mm and the large overhang is the same length has the gantry width. Bracing on large overhang depends on gantry width but if more than 300mm then yes brace it.

Here's a 4x4 machine built using similair frame design but with adjustable height bed. Frame is 60x60x5 box.

Has anyone joined hiwin rails lengthwise let's say 1500 + 1500 to achieve 3000mm length. Is it doable for the home builder? ordering from BST automation 3000mm rails will make shipping cost way up.
    Yes it's commonly done on really long machines but does need careful fitting. Thou If possible I'd avoid doing it.

Name:	IMAG0730.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	16890

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well kind of but only has a minimum. I'd be more inclined to go with 80x80x5 on such large machine but 60x60 will work fine.

Dimensions will depend on your needs and gantry etc. I only drew this frame to show you and save explaining via text.
    That said the dimensions I used where based on previous machines I've designed and are very close to those you mention.
    From memory the short overhang was 150mm and the large overhang is the same length has the gantry width. Bracing on large overhang depends on gantry width but if more than 300mm then yes brace it.

Here's a 4x4 machine built using similair frame design but with adjustable height bed. Frame is 60x60x5 box.

Yes it's commonly done on really long machines but does need careful fitting. Thou If possible I'd avoid doing it.

Name:	IMAG0730.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	16890
    Just a note, if joining rails the lengths have to be a different size, Hiwin Installation Manual says you should not have joints directly opposite each other,( I might have to join rails as i have already purchased some but need longer length)
    Regards
    Mike

Following Dean's drawings I finalized the base design, so any comments and corrections before I start cutting would be appreciated.

Name:	base.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	17125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base1.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	17126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base2.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	17127
    Blue steel (top rails) is 80 x 80 x 5.
    Red steel is 60 x 60 x 5.
    Green steel is 60 x 60 x 3. (trying to save on weight).

Top rails would be bolted to the supports for alignment purposes and use epoxy putty(later I would need some more details on that) and then epoxy leveling. Final length of the top rails (overhang) to be decided along the process.

What height from ground to top rails is recommended?

I ordered a straight edge 2000mm DIN 874/2 from same place Boyan did, thank you Boyan for posting the link,
    and I also have a precision level 0.02mm/m so I hope I will have a quite true reference plane to start.

Thank you

Following Dean's drawings I finalized the base design
    Now don't go blaming me I had nothing to do with it. . .

What height from ground to top rails is recommended?
    No fixed height really but the machine I showed is 950mm. Work out the height you want the bed and how much clearence you need and you'll get to the figure you need.

The height of the bed will come down to ergonomics. The higher it is the more difficult it will be to load heavy material onto. As the same time, too low will make changing the cutters a bit difficult.

My preference would be to make the bed around desk height. The Americans say a typical desk height is 29" so 1metre would be just about right.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information