. .
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hello routercnc, thank you for the advice :)

To be honest, I received my spindle kit more than two months ago and have not yet powered the VFD and haven't looked at the manual much yet (I know there is a good stick thread on here that will help).

Though I know it's possible to control the VFD (run/stop, and speed) with the BOB, I am not sure how the controls actually work. Is the run/stop line of the VFD the equivalent of the ENABLE for the motors ?

For a Normally Closed limits circuit, you have to use a SPDT switch like this. In your diagram there is no power to the buzzer. You can use 12v or 5v buzzer, just connect the appropriate +ve voltage to the +ve of the buzzer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limits.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	16852
    Last edited by cropwell; 20-12-2015 at 09:54 AM.

I thought I understood your diagram but apparently not :/ So let's break it apart step by step:

The CN1 is the BOB's (CN == "Common 1" or "Input 1" ? + ground). You've also got a ground from each switch to the star point.

Now, how I understand its functioning:

1. In the initial state, current flows through SW1 to SW4 and then goes back to the BOB. The circuit is NC and Mach3 knows that limit switches are set to NC. Mach3 also is told that there is an override switch in Normally Open circuit.
    2. Imagine SW1 triggers. The circuit opens, Mach3 notices and stops the machine.
    3. Mach3 won't let you move the machine until you use the limits override. So, you press on SW4, which opens the switches circuit and closes the buzzer circuit. The buzzer starts beeeeeeeeeeeeeeping.
    4. You move your gantry or whatever triggered, or home your machine to be safe and reset Mach3. This releases the triggered switch.
    5. You move SW4 to its original position and the limits are now back into their original state. Mach3 notices and is now happy :)

I might be wrong on #4 and #5. I don't understand why you have a 12V buzzer. Doesn't the BOB send 5V through the limits circuit ? Therefore, having a 5V buzzer would be enough ? It seems to me like your diagram causes the BOB to take 12V in when you press the override switch. I'm not sure the BOB can take that much on the input pins (thought I know it can on the spindle control interface).

Now if you look at my diagram, it acts similarly to yours, I think :/ ? When a limit is triggers, it opens the circuit and you have to put the override switch in position 2, which closes the buzzer circuit. The buzzer is now powered with the BOB 5V (unless I'm wrong about the BOB sending 5V through those pins).

Pleas forgive my lack of understanding :)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    It seems to me like your diagram causes the BOB to take 12V in when you press the override switch. I'm not sure the BOB can take that much on the input pins
    I don't think you are understanding the relay contacts the 12 Volts -ve is connected to ground and the +ve is to the buzzer then though to the relay contact. Now when the override button is pressed the relay changes state and then grounds the buzzer to make it buz. In no way is it connected to the input pin on the bob
    Last edited by Clive S; 20-12-2015 at 12:46 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Oh wait I was confusing with the home switches ! I put the buzzer on the wrong circuit.. it should be on the limits circuit. So the CN1 is the relay right (in my case 24V) ? Let me update the diagram and post it again :)

How about now ? I moved the buzzer to the limits circuit. When you press the override switch, it does have power, right ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring-diagram.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	16858

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post

The CN1 is the BOB's (CN == "Common 1" or "Input 1" ? + ground).

1. You move your gantry or whatever triggered, or home your machine to be safe and reset Mach3. This releases the triggered switch.

I might be wrong on #4 and #5. I don't understand why you have a 12V buzzer. Doesn't the BOB send 5V through the limits circuit ? Therefore, having a 5V buzzer would be enough ? It seems to me like your diagram causes the BOB to take 12V in when you press the override switch. I'm not sure the BOB can take that much on the input pins (thought I know it can on the spindle control interface).

Now if you look at my diagram, it acts similarly to yours, I think :/ ? When a limit is triggers, it opens the circuit and you have to put the override switch in position 2, which closes the buzzer circuit. The buzzer is now powered with the BOB 5V (unless I'm wrong about the BOB sending 5V through those pins).
    Hi,

My connector CN1 is just there to show the connection point to the BoB.

Do not try and power anything from the BoB input terminals. They may be at 5v due to internal pull-up resistors, but they will not supply enough current and you may damage the BoB. Likewise the output terminal should not feed any circuit with any power demand greater than a relay.

The buzzer can be any small DC buzzer, just feed the +ve side from an appropriate power supply, 5 or 12v depending on your buzzer. I just happened to have a couple in a drawer.

As Clive said my warning buzzer is a separate side of the switch. On my machine I separate ++ limits from -- limits so I use a 3pole double throw switch to override both inputs and also earth the buzzer.

Don't try and Home the machine when a limit is being overridden. You may be the wrong side of the Home switch and your machine will try to keep going in the wrong direction.

Before you connect Home and Limits to the BoB, verify they are correctly wired using a test meter. BoBs are fragile little buggers, so treat them well.

Why are you using a relay for Limits switching ? It only adds more to go wrong ! What would happen if your 24v power failed and you didn't notice.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 20-12-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    How about now ? I moved the buzzer to the limits circuit. When you press the override switch, it does have power, right ?

Views:	443 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	16858
    Wrong first why don't you change the markings on the BOB so that they mean something correct ie you are showing that you are connecting the home switches to a Z limit etc.
    You have now connected the buzzer in series with the relay coil!!
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Here is the updated BOB input names. Sorry for the confusion I just copied the part setup from the manual. But they were actually not relevant.

Views:	577 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	16859
    What's wrong with connecting the buzzer in series ? If you explain to me the role of the override switch and how it works then i'll probably be able to understand what is not right in my diagram :(
    Here is the QElectrotech file, if that can be of any help :)
    wiring-diagram.qet.zip

What's wrong with connecting the buzzer in series ? If you explain to me the role of the override switch and how it works then i'll probably be able to understand what is not right in my diagram :(

wiring-diagram.qet.zip
    1. It is not a good practice to derive power feed in this way.
    2. The buzzer will not pass enough current to pull in the relay.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information