. .
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    What you could do is use a two way switch with centre off. One way would switch the FOR-DCM directly and the other would put the FOR-DCM through a relay controlled by the BoB. That would give you three modes :- Fully ON,Totally OFF and Automatic. I do this for my Kress spindle and also my chip blower. I will probably do the same when I build the next machine with a VFD controlled spindle.

Cheers,

Rob
    Won't work Rob.! Well it will work for the Off bit but not for the option of controlling directly from VFD front panel or BOB. Problem is the VFD needs parameter setting to change from External control to Panel control.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 31-01-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Rob I see the trouble with this is starting the machine code with the switch not in the correct position and then not getting to the Osh#t button fast enough
    I agree, but when you have done it a couple of times, you learn. I check the switch is in the correct position, but the 'always on' position is down, so you can hit it faster than the osht in my case. After having my finger bitten by the machine, it also helps my confidence to put it to 'off' whilst doing a tool change and restarting the code does not fire up the spindle, so I switch it to 'on' before continuing. My new Cam software puts out the M03 after a tool change though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

I hear you, but I don't see how the connecting the FOR-DCM loop through a relay would help the software control the VFD/spindle. For that I need to wire it to the BOB's VFD control interface, which I currently don't know how, as explained in my first post of this thread. I've given my BOB's model and manual already but I don't know how to use the BOB spindle control interface to control the vfd.. I would love someone to provide a simple wiring diagram with on one side the BOB's VFD control terminal and on the other side the VFD control interface and tell me how to wire the together.. I'm so sorry for looking like an idiot, but I prefer having someone explaining it clearly to me so I can understand it, because so far I haven't found such diagram on the forum.. :(

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Won't work Rob.! Well it will work for the Off bit but not for the option of controlling directly from VFD front panel or BOB. Problem is the VFD needs parameter setting to change from External control to Panel control.
    I was not intending to use panel control, but speed and direction control from the CSMIO-IP-S.

Looks like I will have to read up how the VFD works. My understanding was that DCM connected to FOR by a relay would cause the VFD to spin the motor according to the (0-10v) voltage applied to V1 and that opening the DCM, FOR connection would allow it to coast to a stop. All the setup articles I have seen are just how to connect R,S,T to single phase input and UVW to the motor, presumably then using the front panel to control ON/OFF and speed. I can't find any proper explanantion of the way RST (reset) works and what exactly it does.

Does anybody use braking resistors to pull the spindle to a halt ?

Cheers,

Rob

I was not intending to use panel control, but speed and direction control from the CSMIO-IP-S.
    Eurikain was talking about using the control panel but in anycase I don't see the point in what you suggest other than to disable ON?OFF. The Software allows you to manualy control spindle ON/OFF rather than G-code. The way you Suggest would work but is open to Error from forgetting to switch back and not turn spindle on before code starts and I don't care how fast you think you are there will be times when you do for get and can't reach it. Just like you can't reach O-shite button fast enough before it snaps cutter.!!
    If you do want an actual Manual ON/OFF switch then better to use an Input and set up OEM trigger in Mach to turn Spindle ON/OFF.
    If for Safety reasons then would only do this if it was tied to Reset so Control software can't start.

My understanding was that DCM connected to FOR by a relay would cause the VFD to spin the motor according to the (0-10v) voltage applied to V1 and that opening the DCM, FOR connection would allow it to coast to a stop. All the setup articles I have seen are just how to connect R,S,T to single phase input and UVW to the motor, presumably then using the front panel to control ON/OFF and speed. I can't find any proper explanantion of the way RST (reset) works and what exactly it does.
    Your understanding is correct.
    RST works just like Pressing STOP. Each of the VFD Inputs are programmable and can be set to do various controls and RST is set by default to same as pressing STOP button on control panel. When you Connect DCM to RST it Stops the VFD. Putting this thru E-stop contact will disable the VFD

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    I would love someone to provide a simple wiring diagram with on one side the BOB's VFD control terminal and on the other side the VFD control interface and tell me how to wire the together..
    I'm not trawling back thru your posts to find out what BOB etc you have but if you post details again then I'll draw something for you.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-02-2016 at 01:56 PM.

I'm not trawling back thru your posts to find out what BOB etc you have but if you post details again then I'll draw something for you.
    Jazz, you're the best :D

Here is my BOB's manual (I find it not too clear):
    User Manual of 5Axis Breakout Board - Mach3

Here is a picture of my VFD control interface (don't look at the cable, it's just a picture from google, not actually a picture from my VFD, but I checked that the terminals matched ^^):
    https://www.buildyourcnc.com/images/inverterwire.JPG

My FVD manual (though mine has an English cover and some english mistakes):
    http://www.jinlantrade.com/ebay/invertermanual.pdf

I think my BOB allows controlling on/off and speed as well for the vfd. If you can show me how to wire it in order to do that it would be awesome ! I don't know much about what Gcode can do beside positioning, but I guess it can embed speed control ? I'm also assuming that Mach3 is responsible for controlling on/off of the spindle when the g-code processing starts or stops (so it's not embedded in the g-code).

Thank you Jazz, you're awesome :) !!
    Last edited by eurikain; 01-02-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks for the info Dean. I am a bit cautious of turning power off to spindles after having the end of my right index finger chewed off by a facing cutter. I don't want to lose any more finger(s) or spend time in A&E being sewn back together. Given a choice between a snapped cutter or a finger, what would you choose ?

Eurikain beat me to the BoB info, but it is the type that has speed control and you can use the same pin as the B axis step for controlling an onboard relay to switch the spindle On/Off.
    Cheers,
    The Fat One

[ATTACH=CONFIG]It's easy see pic. Here we are using the Relay on the Spindle to Control ON/OFF. (Top 2 wires)
    The bottom 2 wires are 0-10V for speed control.

You will need to change some parameters in the VFD. These tell the VFD it's being controlled from external source. (Won't be able to control from VFD front panel unless set back to 0)
    PD001 = 1
    PD002 = 1

Now just set Mach3 up according to manual regards Spindle speed and Relay control.

Edit: I loaded wrong Pic up first time, should have gone to V1 not A1. (Thanks for spotting Rob)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vfd.png 
Views:	1415 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	17473
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-02-2016 at 06:32 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]It's easy see pic. Here we are using the Relay on the Spindle to Control ON/OFF. (Top 2 wires)
    The bottom 2 wires are 0-10V for speed control.

You will need to change some parameters in the VFD. These tell the VFD it's being controlled from external source. (Won't be able to control from VFD front panel unless set back to 0)
    PD001 = 1
    PD002 = 1

Now just set Mach3 up according to manual regards Spindle speed and Relay control.

Edit: I loaded wrong Pic up first time, should have gone to V1 not A1. (Thanks for spotting Rob)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vfd.png 
Views:	1415 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	17473
    Thank you SO much ! I will be connecting these four wires tomorrow and post pictures of the finished control cabinet :) ! Can't wait :D The machine's almost ready :D

I was also wondering what the 10-24V inputs of the BOB (between top 2 and bottom 2 pins you connected to the VFD) are used for ?
    Last edited by eurikain; 02-02-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    I was also wondering what the 10-24V inputs of the BOB (between top 2 and bottom 2 pins you connected to the VFD) are used for ?
    It's so you can power using an external source rather than USB and I suggest you do that. USB is unreliable and not to be trusted.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information