. .
  1. Good Evening everyone,

I am new to this site but not so new to CNC routing.

Have had 1 home built CNC running belt drives, and now have a Gerber Dimension 200 running new trap screw, new drivers , motors and other mods such as touch off, and automatic homing.

Now looking for some help off YOU my new friends on here as to what way I want to develop my CNC.

I have touched on 3d cutting and have a couple of samples but I am thinking of a bigger machine???

The cutting on this is 800mm by 900mm by 50mm, but with what I would like to cut I am thinking a bigger machine rather than buying a whole bunch of parts to make this one do as I would like ??/

Anyone who would like to chat about it please feel free to email me. [email protected]

Hi Welcome,

Actually think we have mutal friend in Micheal Marino.?

What exactly do you want help with.?

3. Yes Michael has been doing quite a bit on it.

I am not sure as to what way to go...

I could increase the gantry height easily by adding 2 sections where the gantry joins together.
    I would want smoother X axis movement so was looking at ball screw rather than trap screw but this means changing both ends and making new mountings etc, then I would have to change the rails etc so was thinking of getting another machine instead of putting so many parts into this one.

What are your thoughts ?

With a new machine I would probably want something built by a factory rather than spend the time to make my own.

Would want taller gantry for cutting a min of 100mm deep, want vac bed for holding pieces as we normally cut letters for signs,
    would want decent ball screws all round.

I wouldn't mind an older machine as long as it was heavy duty with decent parts.

???

Ye Micheal did ask me about building a machine for somebody up your way so I bet it was you.?

Regards the Lead screw Vs Ballscrew. Ballcscrew won't be any smoother action than most decent lead screws it's just more accurate and effiecient in most cases so less work for the motors etc. But without seeing or hearing your machine hard to tell if you have Bad screws or worn out machine.? What you think is rough action could just be poor low resolution or poorly setup machine.?

Lots of reason why you may have been getting rough action but won't get into that now.
    Regards what machine then I can't honestly say or recommend because without knowing your budget etc it's like saying how longs a piece of string.!!

What I will say is be careful because Price doesn't always reflect what your getting and High price doesn't always mean Good machine.
    Cheap can some times good but it's also little like playing Russian roulet without knowing how many bullets are in the chamber.? . . With some Chinese offerings Often there's 5 bullets.!!!

My suggestion is Don't Rush into buying and find a machine you like look of. Then try to find someone who's using one or knows the builder/Company to get a feeling for how it performs etc.

If you see any just post on here and we'll take look for you.

5. Jazz do you have an email address I could send you some pictures / video of the machine and see what you think of it.

I totally understand what you are saying about the 5 bullets, lol.
    I will keep an eye out and let you know about what i am looking at.

I am even contemplating using the front of my shop as the CNC housing as it is larger, thus building a unit inside to house a bigger CNC as this is where i am heading towards in the Sign industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sign-sation View Post
    Jazz do you have an email address I could send you some pictures / video of the machine and see what you think of it.
    Email sent to your email.

Thread Information