. .
    Hi Guys,

I brought a Festool router a while ago with some other bits. I ran it up to check it as I was going to sell it, not needing it. I was about to do a video to go with the descripton and got distracted! Anyhow, when I took the cutter out 1/2" shank it was pretty hot relitivly speaking after a few minutes. No nasty sound or bearing noise. Perhaps someone has an idea of the possible cause I can't see anything all that obvious. I would keep the router as I am a fan of Festool kit.

Many thanks and I hope a good time is being had.

Steve

Sounds like the bearing is on its way out!
    When they go the collet end gets very hot!
    Put new bearings in should only be about £15.00

Peter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ptjw7uk For This Useful Post:

Hi Peter,
    Thank you for the reply. I think I may try the bearings, I guessed for the cutter to be getting hot so quick and the bearings would be noisy... Having said that I cant think of a more likely cause for the heat so I will get some bearings and have a go. I dont have much to loose in trying. Thanks very much I hope you are having a good festive break.
    Steve

I wish you well.
    I had to take my Elu router apart to find out what bearings were in there - the new bearings made such a difference.
    The old bearings didn't make any noise - it just slowed down abit and that was very noticeable.

peter

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    Hi Guys,

I brought a Festool router a while ago with some other bits. I ran it up to check it as I was going to sell it, not needing it. I was about to do a video to go with the descripton and got distracted! Anyhow, when I took the cutter out 1/2" shank it was pretty hot relitivly speaking after a few minutes. No nasty sound or bearing noise. Perhaps someone has an idea of the possible cause I can't see anything all that obvious. I would keep the router as I am a fan of Festool kit.

Many thanks and I hope a good time is being had.

Steve
    Steve. When you ran it up was you cutting anything with it? If so the cutter could have been loose in the collet and that would have made it hot. Just a thought.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    I wish you well.
    I had to take my Elu router apart to find out what bearings were in there - the new bearings made such a difference.
    The old bearings didn't make any noise - it just slowed down abit and that was very noticeable.

peter
    Thank you Peter and that is interesting. I shall get it down in bits and bearing ordered.
    All the best
    Steve

Hi Clive
    Thank you for the msg. No I was not cutting anything and the cutter was tightend as per normal, good thought mind.
    All the best
    Steve

Thread Information