. .
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Hi routercnc,
    Greatly enjoying your videos! One question, on your latest one, after cutting all the extrusion uprights, how did you machine them to be exactly the right length and exactly square?
    Did you clamp them in the vice to be perfectly perpendicular and then machined the top, then turned over and machined the opposite end? Thanks.
    I actually cut them several months ago before I started making videos so what you see in ep10 is staged for continuity. But when I did cut them out I remember spending time setting up a stop and cutting a few practice ones to get them dialled in for length. The saw cuts pretty square and I did not need to machine them afterwards. Also the steel section which sits on top is not flat so there is no point in chasing tenths on the uprights. When it goes together I may need some shims and when bolted tight the top steel section may get pulled down unevenly. But this is fine as it will have epoxy levelling to get it all aligned for the rails.

EDIT !
    Sorry Edward - went out to the workshop this morning and had a closer look and they do actual having machining marks on the ends, plus they have numbers on them (e.g. -3, 7, 4 . . . ) which are the errors in hundredths of mm at various places across the end on the total length. Sorry - so many parts I lost track there. Yes, I did machine them to final length.
    I would have clamped them against the side of the vice and made sure they were flat onto the bed (as the sides are not straight/flat).
    Last edited by routercnc; 07-01-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: correction !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

OK, episode 11 is now ready.

We say a fond farewell to the trusty Mk3 and start building the bed frame for Mk4.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 47 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    You put us all to shame, nice build
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Cheers Clive. Feels like I'm starting to get there now and this thing might actually get built !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Episode 12 - finishing the second ballscrew on the gantry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

I love these videos :)

Nice to see a file being used properly too ;)

Oh and that lathe is way too clean.

Bummer, Can't get this to open on my old imac(10fourfox browser) so thought i would flash up the windows XP (Firefox) still wont have it.
    Strange as i have been watching all your previous vid's on the iMac.
    Have you downloaded it to a different format ?
    Mike

Hi Dave
    Cheers for that. Something therapeutic about filing aluminium! And yes I do like to keep the lathe clean.

Mike
    I uploaded everything the same as usual. Same format etc. Does it work if you go to youtube direct instead of via the forum?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Weird
    Today it works, will get a brew and watch it. Many thanks again for all your efforts in the vid department
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Weird
    Today it works, will get a brew and watch it. Many thanks again for all your efforts in the vid department
    Mike
    Glad it's working today - computers eh!?

Glad you are enjoying the videos although I've got a thumbs down on the latest one already. I guess you can't please everyone. It would be good to know why so I can improve things where possible but I don't think YouTube ask users for a reason?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information