. .
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Pain that it didn't quite go as planned...

I have no experience with pouring epoxy for rails, but from having done other things where bubbles can be a pain I definitely suggest thinking about putting the epoxy in a container you can seal and plug into a vac pump or even just shop vac for 30 mins to de-aerate... if you can vibrate it at the same time (I sometimes use an old orbital sander stuck onto the container) it speeds up the process.

Once poured, is vibrating the frame an option? Can help bring bubbles to the surface.

Better luck for round 2!

Thank you for all those great and useful replies. I seem to remember reading on the West site (?) maximum of 6 pumps from each tin before mixing which meant about 150ml. I needed 4 of these mixes to fill the channel so I needed to mix then pour then mix then pour etc.
    This means it all needs to be choreographed. If I could mix it all in one go and then stir with the drill and bent wire method that could have done advantages.
    Shop vacuum and some vibration sounds interesting.

Maybe now I have a bit spare I can experiment with a method which combines all the good ideas above and still flows out before it starts to cure. Away from workshop until weekend do plenty of thinking time. Thanks again really appreciate it.

I'll try to capture whatever works in the next video to help the next guy out !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Am i reading this correctly total epoxy required 600ml ? had a look @ my measuring jug and 150ml is a really insignificant amount. the larger the quantity the bigger the exothermic reaction but i would have thought with the slow setting hardener exotherm would be reduced. i would drop West an email and see if you could do the 600ml in one mix, will make life a lot easier.
    Good luck on your next attempt.
    Regards
    Mike

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    This is why, for Thor, I did not go Epoxy. I ended up with DWH Diamant, different approach.

Hi Chaz
    did you detail the procedure in you build log, i do remember reading it but didn't notice a detailed description, would be interested in the process.
    Mike

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Chaz
    did you detail the procedure in you build log, i do remember reading it but didn't notice a detailed description, would be interested in the process.
    Mike
    Hi, might be some in my Thor thread, not sure. Can explain it again if needed.

Hi Mike
    I went 150ml as I remember reading that 6 pumps was max before mixing. To be honest now I've done one round of this I think doing it in one shot would work OK. Maybe rig up a cordless drill on a stand with bent wire in the chuck and run this slowly between every 150ml added and then one final stir at the end.
    Chaz
    Would be interest in the Diamant. The 1kg epoxy kit i used was about £40 plus postage, how much was your kit ?
    I'm expecting to have to dial in the last bit of level so would be interested in how you got on.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi Mike
    I went 150ml as I remember reading that 6 pumps was max before mixing. To be honest now I've done one round of this I think doing it in one shot would work OK. Maybe rig up a cordless drill on a stand with bent wire in the chuck and run this slowly between every 150ml added and then one final stir at the end.
    Chaz
    Would be interest in the Diamant. The 1kg epoxy kit i used was about £40 plus postage, how much was your kit ?
    I'm expecting to have to dial in the last bit of level so would be interested in how you got on.
    If you buy it in the UK, around £200 per litre. Its pricy stuff.

I paid less via a friend in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    If you buy it in the UK, around £200 per litre. Its pricy stuff.

I paid less via a friend in Germany.
    Oh wow. 200 per kilo?

I paid 75€ for 3 kg.

Not West though.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by driftspin View Post
    Oh wow. 200 per kilo?

I paid 75€ for 3 kg.

Not West though.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk
    What do you mean with 'No West though'?

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread Information