. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Next part is the Z ballnut bracket. All started well . . .

Laying it out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3649.jpg 
Views:	1084 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	16980

Pilot holes for the threaded holes:

Name:	IMG_3650.jpg 
Views:	1068 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	16981

Skim the surface to level it:

Name:	IMG_3652.jpg 
Views:	1139 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	16982

Machine pocket to house ballnut:
    (Toolpaths are fairly basic from Cut2D - gentle ramp into material, then a series of simple circles. No spiral option. But it gets the job done.)

Name:	IMG_3655.jpg 
Views:	1058 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	16983

Profile machined most of the way through leaving a bit holding it in place:

Name:	IMG_3656.jpg 
Views:	1149 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	16984

Name:	IMG_3660.jpg 
Views:	1161 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	16985

All holes drilled to size, tapped, then on the very last hole backing the tap out - it snapped ! Aargh!

Name:	IMG_3661.jpg 
Views:	1239 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	16986
    Tap was 12mm into the part and bashing and picking was not working. Flatten the end off the centre punch so that was no good.

Got some Alum powder (about £3.50 off ebay for 2x100g) and mixed up a solution with hot water:

Name:	IMG_3681.jpg 
Views:	1183 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	16987
    Then dropped in the part, and you can see it bubble straight away (bottom right hole).

Name:	IMG_3683.jpg 
Views:	1203 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	16988
    After a day there were lots of black specs and a general browny dust settled onto the part (hole now top left).

Name:	IMG_3688.jpg 
Views:	1649 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	16989

But even after a couple of days it had only eaten about 0.5mm groove in the top of the tap. At this rate it was going to take weeks.

I tried a masonary bit (3mm tungsten carbide tipped) on a very low speed in the pillar drill and this gnawed away at it for about 15 minutes. The drill kept trying to wander off into the aluminium at the sides, so I flipped the part over and put the drill bit into the hole hoping this would guide it. It made a sound like it wasn't enjoying it much but I pressed on. After another 15 minutes of drilling I got to within about 4mm of the surface, and then the drill broke and got stuck in the hole. Luckily I managed to get it out. I've since put the part back in the Alum solution. I think another go with a 3mm masonary bit will have drilled the last bit out, but I think the thread might be beyond use. I could probably live without that bolt and use the other 5 but it is annoying me now. I'll clean it out and see what to do. Could enlarge the hole then make a plug with a flange on it and press it in from the reverse side, then drill and tap into that. Probably tap it before pressing it in just in case !
    Last edited by routercnc; 30-12-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added video
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thread Information