. .
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
    OK good to know thank you
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I decided to do some of my own testing . . . here are the results:

About time I built this thing !

I'm not looking to start a new project any time soon, but I'm planning ahead for a new or repaired WC spindle. In my last video (above) you probably heard the noise as the spindle ramped down. It makes a rough noise when it goes through a resonance at a few 1000 rpm or so.
    When running at 12,000 rpm it sounds ~OK but it does not bode well for the life of the motor. When stationary if I grab the end of the spindle I can feel a very slight amount of play so this is probably the cause. It has been doing this for a while now.

I think these spindles have 2 angular contact bearings at the nose end, and one ball bearing at the far end. It might be a case of sorting out the preload as I believe there is a LH threaded bolt at the top end which may set this. Or they might just be deep groove ball bearings at the nose end, not sure on this model. Maybe I can just install new bearings and that would sort it out.

This is a 1.5 kW Chinese WC spindle which has been doing great service since about 2008/9 (?) and has cut a lot of aluminium, up to 20mm thick. So it has had a fairly hard life considering, but I do need to start looking into the options in case it goes downhill quickly.

I'm right at the start of the planning, so it is early days, and replacing the bearings would be an option. However, the spindle has always been the lowest performing part of this mk4 machine and I think it could handle much more power, especially with the new mist system.

After a few hours research I've got this table so far (obviously still looking into the options and specs):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindle.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	31178

I'm not looking for an auto tool changer, I'm OK using ER collets and manually swapping tools over. I want to cut aluminium mainly, and some steel parts (using small cutters probably) such as keyways. Any thoughts and experience welcome, thanks.

I’ve looked into lots of options and one of them is to go for a 3kW motor (Chinese wc spindle) via a belt drive onto a DIY cartridge with an ER32 collet. With a ratio of 2:1 I get x4 the torque of my 1.5 kW direct drive spindle and 9,000 rpm. Or 1.5:1 I get x3 the torque and 12,000 rpm. I’ll need to check the max rpm of the bearings I use for the cartridge.
    Anyway only planning at this point so my question is can I run the 3kW spindle off a standard UK circuit (13A). The spindle claims it runs up to 10A which is OK on paper but I wanted to check any real world usage, thanks.

Finished !
    I got the mixer block modified to take the blast system - and then I broke the locline fitting. Still, managed to get a very basic bit of machining done and looks promising so far. Not a very in-depth machining session at the end, just a quick check and I think this is going to work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I’ve looked into lots of options and one of them is to go for a 3kW motor (Chinese wc spindle) via a belt drive onto a DIY cartridge with an ER32 collet. With a ratio of 2:1 I get x4 the torque of my 1.5 kW direct drive spindle and 9,000 rpm. Or 1.5:1 I get x3 the torque and 12,000 rpm. I’ll need to check the max rpm of the bearings I use for the cartridge.
    Anyway only planning at this point so my question is can I run the 3kW spindle off a standard UK circuit (13A). The spindle claims it runs up to 10A which is OK on paper but I wanted to check any real world usage, thanks.
    Another option might be to go for a constant power spindle, i.e. one where the torque increases as the speed decreases/ I have one from Jian-Ken and it chomps through ali nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    Another option might be to go for a constant power spindle, i.e. one where the torque increases as the speed decreases/ I have one from Jian-Ken and it chomps through ali nicely.
    Do you have a link?

was having a look the other day
    https://www.jian-ken.com/constant-to...otor-spindles/
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Do you have a link?
    http://www.jian-ken.com/high-speed-m...r-spindle.html

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread Information