. .
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Nice to see it finally finished and making chips. It certainly is a big credit to you and I have enjoyed all the vids in the making.
    Thanks Clive. It’s been a long time coming !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

OK I’ll try some other speeds / feeds next time

I enjoy so much the build and the detailed video you upload.
    Thank you so much about all the effort and the documentary!
    Great machine!

Thank you. There should be more videos in future but time for a break !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Congratulations on a phenomenal build. What ever i write i feel i won't do you or your build justice. Love the videos and would love to see more of your projects.
    Last edited by Fancy; 23-12-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    Congratulations on a phenomenal build. What ever i write i feel i won't do you or your build justice. Love the videos and would love to see more of your projects.
    Thank you ! Feels good to have finished it - or at least get it working (already thought of a few tweaks here and there).

Something I asked about along time ago on this forum and received plenty of help on (thank you!) was getting the 24V prox signal into the 5V breakout board. In ep22 you saw the circuit that was recommended to me but I have found it a bit unreliable and actually crashed into the sensor on one occasion. So I did a bit of searching and tried a diode in the black wire from the sensor (bar pointing to sensor I think?). This works very well without any issues and gives either a solid 5V or 1V when switched. The diode I had to hand was a generic 1Nxxx type which is meant for relays (?) and such but have since bought a proper switching diode (not fitted yet) which I guess is much faster or at least more suitable. When I’m back at the PC I’ll post a diagram for the electrical guys to comment on.

..and finally making chips after a 3 year journey! Congratulations!

I would be grateful if you could measure the stiffness in the x and y directions.

What breakout board/ controller are you using? Does it have optocouplers on the inputs? I had the same problem feeding 24v signal to 5v bob. In my case the signal was fed to the optocoupler through a current limiting resistor with a value calculated for 5v input. I just had to replace the resistor with one calculated for 24v.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    ..and finally making chips after a 3 year journey! Congratulations!

I would be grateful if you could measure the stiffness in the x and y directions.

What breakout board/ controller are you using? Does it have optocouplers on the inputs? I had the same problem feeding 24v signal to 5v bob. In my case the signal was fed to the optocoupler through a current limiting resistor with a value calculated for 5v input. I just had to replace the resistor with one calculated for 24v.
    Thank you Paulus. Great to have it working like it should.

I was planning to measure the stiffness and compare to my old machine, plus a typical commercial stiffness. Depends on when I can get another slot in the workshop. Probably a bit rude to do it when the in-laws are here - although . . .

The breakout board was free with the drivers and is very basic. I think it is called a DB-2505. ?
    From memory it has black chips near the inputs which I always assumed were optocouplers. Replacing the resistor sounds interesting.

Time for one last video in the series ! Some finishing touches . . .

Still plan to measure the stiffness - I may get a chance to get in the workshop today and report back tomorrow on this thread . . . sorry for the delay

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Many thanks routercnc for an absolutely awesome build!

Apart from the build aspects that relate to your specific CNC design (some of which is frankly way too complex for me to contemplate), I have learnt so much from your videos about what I can only call "general machining principles", which I would never have learnt otherwise!

Thanks again,
    Andy

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread Information