. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    what should the normal voltage be ? is there any way i could send u the maual for the drivers?

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo242 View Post
    what should the normal voltage be ? is there any way i could send u the maual for the drivers?
    There isnt 'normal'. I tend to see 50-80V usually. What does teh specification of the drivers say?

Introduction
    The TB1H is a high performance microstepping driver based on the latest original TOSHIBA high-efficiency TB6600HG IC. The TB6600HG adopts PWM chopper-type single-chip bipolar sinusoidal to ensure the low vibration and high efficiency. Moreover, the brand new design with BiCD0.13 (50V) process technology on the chipset also ensures maximum 5.0A output current and 50V output withstand voltage. Consequently, as long as the current range of the stepper motor is within 0.2-5 amps, all the 2 Phase or 4 Phase of Nema17, Nema23, Nema24 and Nema34 stepper motors will work perfectly with this new-type TB6600HG Stepper Driver.
    Features
    High performance, cost-effective
    Automatic idle-current reduction
    Supply voltage up to 50V DC
    Output current up to 5.0A
    Suitable for 2-phase and 4-phase motors
    High speed optoelectronic isolation signal input
    Overload, overcurrent, overheat, overvoltage and undervoltage protection
    Single-chip PWM bipolar sinusoidal chopper ensures low vibration and high efficiency
    1, 2, 4 (New Mode), 8, 16 adjustable microstep control, motors run more precisely and smoothly
    Equipped with the 3rd generation of breakout board, display panel and control pad to control the motor manually.
    Cooling Aluminium Box Design for Cooling, and protect the driver board from being damaged by dirt, dust or other liquids.
    Applications
    Suitable for a wide range of stepping motors, from NEMA size 17 to 34. It can be used in various kinds of machines, such as X-Y tables, labeling machines, laser cutters, engraving machines, pick-place devices, and so on. Particularly adapt to the applications desired with low noise, low heating, and high speed performance.Both of regulated and unregulated DC power supplies can be used to supply TB1H stepper driver. However, unregulated power
    supplies are preferred due to their ability to withstand current surge. If regulated power supplies (such as most off switching
    supplies.) are indeed used, it is important to have large current output rating to avoid problems like current clamp, for example
    using 4A supply for 3A motor-driver operation. On the other hand, if unregulated supply is used, one may use a power supply of
    lower current rating than that of motor (typically 50%~70% of motor current). The reason is that the driver draws current from
    the power supply capacitor of the unregulated supply only during the ON duration of the PWM cycle, but not during the OFF
    duration. Therefore, the average current withdrawn from power supply is considerably less than motor current. For example, two
    3A motors can be well supplied by one power supply of 4A rating. Although the unregulated power supplies are preferred,
    considering the cost, the cheap and easy-to-use regulated switching supplies in the market is also a good choice for the TB1H
    stepper driver and motors, as long as the total output current of the regulated switching supplies is larger than the motor’s total
    rated current. Anyway, if users don’t know how to select the suitable power supplies for the TB1H stepper driver and motors,
    please feel free to contact with us for assistances.
    II. Selecting Supply Voltage
    The TB1H stepper driver can actually operate within 12-50V(Peak Voltage) DC for different motors. Higher supply voltage can
    increase motor torque at higher speeds, thus helpful for avoiding losing steps. However, higher voltage may cause more motor
    vibration at lower speed, and it may also cause motor overheat and drive damage. Therefore, it is suggested to choose 12-24V DC
    Last edited by Davo242; 02-01-2016 at 05:51 PM.

i was looking threw some set up videos on youtube and it was showing how to test the driver with mach3, my test showed that mine was pulsing to slow. but when i tried to up the kh it never changed. could this be a slow computer problem?

i was looking threw some set up videos on youtube and it was showing how to test the driver with mach3, my test showed that mine was pulsing to slow. but when i tried to up the kh it never changed. could this be a slow computer problem?
    Not so much slow computer but low voltage parallel port. It's common cause of problems on newer PC's and is most likely your problem if none of the other things I suggested have worked.

The easist/cheapist fix is to use PCI PP card but this can have problems because to all cards work with mach3.
    Next option and by far the best is to get way from it and use external motion control card. This option is expensive thou.

Then you have the Drives.?? They are TB based drives and very very delicate things when it comes to voltage so don't what ever you do run them more than 36V or you'll fry them. 24V is safer but this does affect performance you'll get from the motors.

In all honesty they are Rubbish and not something I'd recommend building a machine based on but now you have them.!! . . . Well use them until they die.!
    Trying to do CNC on the cheap 99.9% of time costs more than buying decent stuff and with a lot more hair pulling so not worth it.

There is another option you could try and is free and that is using Linux CNC. It may well work better with your PP than Mach3's driver does and end up costing you nothing.
    I'm not Linux user so I can't help much on where or how but sure there will be others that can point you in wright direction.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 02-01-2016 at 06:12 PM.

its an old pc could be 7/8 years or older. is the motion control for the under powered parallel port ? im going to see about getting a newer pc made up on monday is there anything i should be getting in it that would be an advantage ie.. ports drives etc!!
    im going to try the new pc on mach3 and if it still isnt working prop il try down loading linux cnc.

its an old pc could be 7/8 years or older. is the motion control for the under powered parallel port ? im going to see about getting a newer pc made up on monday is there anything i should be getting in it that would be an advantage ie.. ports drives etc!!
    I wouldn't waste money on buying a newer PC because it could be just the same. If your going to spend money and intend to use mach3 then buy an external motion control card.
    External Motion controller will give you reliable system and higher performance. It will also allow you to use your Old PC because it takes much the work load away from PC. The parallel port is dead dieing technology best avoided.

I suggest before you go spending any more money that you do some research and learn more about Drives, controllers etc. It's all here on the Forum if you look. If not your going to waste money buying more rubbish or stuff that's wrong for your needs.

Which Motion controller depends on your pockets but if you can afford it buy one that uses Ethernet rather than USB. Komatis on the Forum sells Ethernet Smooth steppers which I would recommended.

Thanks for the advice jazz, I'm going to down load the Linux cnc and see if that solves any issues and if not then I think I will order one of the motion controler and see if that solves the problem. Does it connect to any Bob board? Once agin thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice jazz, I'm going to down load the Linux cnc
    Your Welcome and think you will have more success with linux cnc.

Davo,

I too faced motor stalling like you show in the video on my first build. Looked through the cables, voltages step durations etc. I considered that it could have been my Gecko G540 driver so changed that to individual drivers..no improvement.upped the voltage.. Nothing..Never thought that the parallel port would be to blame and definately did not want to spend any more money on the problem.

Every time you lose a step the motors need to reaccelerate. All good and well when they have the voltage to boost them but not so good otherwise. This can leed to stalling as the rotation speed is not ramped but stepped. Hate to burst your bubble but if you are having bench test problems you will have hair pulling moments when you finally build the machine. I know I did even when the bench test was perfect.

Some more reading on the mach forum: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...?topic=9943.30

In todays CNC world it seems that there is just no point in using the lpt unless you have a linux cnc system. Even then a lot of people use a motion control card. For example when i tried Emc with an Asus motherboard it would not pass the test the software performs.
    Arguably the first and foremost frustration in any build log seems to be the issue of lost steps for whatever reason,( drivers, noise, lpt port) so eliminating it is money will spent in my opinion. Second will be backlash but that can be managed.

Best regards

George
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information