. .
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I bought Ecocast from Aluminium Warehouse but subsequently I've been told about MIC6 tooling plate which is sold by Blackburns - branches around the country. Might be worth checking for a comparison.

Tooling plate is what you want to ask for. Like Neale says it's often called Mic6.

Cheers Neale & Dean for the advice, will search around for this.
    I am guessing its going to be the same case with the box section also (local supplier being cheaper than online) so will search around for this also. To confirm is it just bog standard mild steel box section or is a specific grade recommended?
    With a 4mm wall the gantry box section and side plates alone weigh 20kg (no motors, no Z axis, no ball screw, no spindle, etc) will the 6.1Nm Nema 34 @ 70V with AM882 drives previously recommended handle this ok with good enough speeds for both aluminum and some wood work?

Yes just mild steel boxsection nothing special. Don't worry 20Kg is nothing you'll be ok upto 80-90kg.

Thanks Dean and wow 90kg...I massively underestimated how powerful these things are.
    Any chance you have any reference costs for 100x50x4 and 50x50x4 mild steel box section? Will be buying in standard lengths and cutting it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by examorph View Post
    Thanks Dean and wow 90kg...I massively underestimated how powerful these things are.
    Any chance you have any reference costs for 100x50x4 and 50x50x4 mild steel box section? Will be buying in standard lengths and cutting it myself.
    Yes don't underestimate these little things when attached to ballscrews. The mechanical advantage the screws give is massive, it will snap your arm like carrot and carry on like it never happened.!!

It's been while since bought any steel but last time I paid about £35 for 7.5mtr lengths 50x50x4. If you work on just less than double that for 100x50 you'll be close.

Dean, steel is right down in price now with all the dumping from China. Brundle's are about the cheapest I've found http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/..._6m_Grade_S235 £23.54 + del + vat

UK delivery on orders less than £150 is just a tenner.

Mike :)

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    Dean, steel is right down in price now with all the dumping from China. Brundle's are about the cheapest I've found http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/..._6m_Grade_S235 £23.54 + del + vat

UK delivery on orders less than £150 is just a tenner.

Mike :)
    Ye just looked and I paid £31.50 inc vat and that's delivered but it is only in next village so not million miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    it will snap your arm like carrot and carry on like it never happened.!!
    Ahh, i'm gonna have to get used to keeping a finger on the emergency stop

Cheers for the help guys, will search around locally for suppliers but don't think many will beat the supplier Mike recommended.

Noticed that I might have some difficulty cutting the motor mount slot accurately on the gantry side, so made it a separate adjustable support plate allowing for the Y axis ball screw to sit more central, more adjustment and lets me get started on welding the gantry before getting access to a mill

Attachment 17667Attachment 17669Attachment 17670Attachment 17671Attachment 17672Attachment 17673

I am going to start welding soon and have next to no experience with this so hope you guys can keep me right:

Attachment 17674Attachment 17675

1. Whats the best way of handeling this, tack up the full frame whilst checking squareness and then weld up fully when happy or do it all in sections?
    2. I read on here that short runs are the way to go. Would a 50mm single run along one side of the 50x50 box section be ok or do I do this in two separate runs (25mm)?
    3. Are there any parts of the frame I could stitch weld? Maybe the x axis rail support and all of the gantry/side plates? If so, whats the typical size of weld and gap between stitches?
    4. Any tips on this/recommended welder settings?
    Last edited by examorph; 16-10-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information