Quote Originally Posted by examorph View Post
Thanks for explaining this to me Clive. Reason for LinuxCNC was really just because it was free, but after looking at the boards it may end up being cheaper and easier just buying a Mach 3 License and one of these boards.

I updated the design slightly to raise the Y Axis ball screw by sitting it on some box section, similar to the X Axis (not sure if it would be stiffer buying wider box section and turning it 90 degrees or maybe also taller and having it sit at the base of the 'L' ?). Another reason for doing this was that I found on kincreaky's build log that Chai could supply these so I added them to all 3 axis and will get them with the rails/screws as it will save shipping.

Attachment 17152Attachment 17153Attachment 17154

This also gives me enough space to go with a belt to drive the gantry screw which might be better?
I remember reading somewhere that 25mm end machining is recommended when using pulleys, will this be enough in my case or do I need more?

Not that it matters too much, but you have the rail carriage flipped upside down from, on the left hand side as seen in the second photo