Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11
    what do u see wrong with the z axis jazz??

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo242 View Post
    what do u see wrong with the z axis jazz??
    Single bearings on the rails. Rails not on front plate so bearings are miles from the cutter. Spindle mounted at wrong end.

    In fact simply taking the Z-axis front plate off with the bearings and turning it upside down would make a difference...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

  3. #13
    I can see what your saying about the bearings but why the rails on the front plate and not the back.???I think the spindle will be ok there is still another bracket to go there yet the same as the top to hold it in place.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo242 View Post
    what do u see wrong with the z axis jazz??
    Jonathan said everything that needed to be said so I won't repeat.

    But I will say this.!!. . . The fact you have asked this question to me and query what jonathan points out plus the fact you have bought TB based drives and no clue about voltage shows me you haven't done much research so I suggest you start doing some.
    We can tell you this and that, answer a query or two but you really need to read up on it and under stand why things are done like they are. Doing so will save you money and time in the long run.

  5. #15
    Ok you maybe right in what ur saying jazz but I started this project a while back and I'm only getting back to it now. Up until recent I didn't know this forum existed. But yes I have been looking threw posts on here to find info and guidance

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo242 View Post
    Ok you maybe right in what ur saying jazz but I started this project a while back and I'm only getting back to it now. Up until recent I didn't know this forum existed. But yes I have been looking threw posts on here to find info and guidance
    Dave don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at you and anyone around knows I'm 100% supportive but end of day your the one doing the work and if you don't research you will get it wrong.
    The mistake you made and many others is by not asking before starting and with not enough research. It's recipe I see and deal with all the time so my advise is based on experience and with genuine intent to help not offend anyone.

    While building a good CNC machine isn't exactly difficult it is very easy to build a lemon if you don't go about it in the right way.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-01-2016 at 10:57 PM.

  7. #17
    Your ok I do see where you are coming from and I'm grateful for all the advic that yourself and others give . As for the gantry I have another motor ordered for the other side so I prob will need some help on getting the wiring sorted for it. Also you have mentioned the drivers are no good, which ones do you recommend if theses ones blow.
    Last edited by Davo242; 06-01-2016 at 11:09 PM.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo242 View Post
    As for the gantry I have another motor ordered for the other side so I prob will need some help on getting the wiring sorted for it. Also you have mentioned the drivers are no good, which ones do you recommend if theses ones blow.
    Dave this highlights my point perfectly.? . . .One mistake people often make is just rushing out and buying parts without really knowing what there buying.

    For instance you say you have ordered another motor but I bet you have no idea other than probably the Nm rating to the spec of the motor.?

    Not all motors are equal even if they have the same Nm rating. There are specs that make a huge difference to how motors perform and 99% of time Cheap motors, like those supplied with cheap drives like the TB based drives are perfect examples of this.

    The relationship between Motor spec and Drive spec is critical to good reliable system. Cheap motors, well actually no cheap is the wrong word because you can buy motors that are cheap and still good.! Poor spec motors is better word. These motors typicly have high inductance which massively affects how they perform and impacts on the whole system, voltage required, affects of resonance everything. This follows into the drives and affects how they perform and deal with things.
    So it's very important Motors, drives and voltage are all balanced and suit each other.

    For this reason I won't recommending any drives without knowing more about the motors. No point having Great drives if your running high inductance motors with only 36v. Best drive in the world won't make much difference other than reliabilty.

    My suggestion is if, well when, the drives blow up you do a complete upgrade and re think of the machine electronics because better drives won't do much for performance if your running high inductance and low volts.

    Better still bite the bullet now and do it right from the start. This will save you money long term and pain in the short term because that's all that's in store for you now with these drives and low voltage. Which you will endup replacing sooner or later and often they are dead so have no resale value.!

    This size and style of machine needs good electronics sized correctly other wise your always going to be smacking your head against the wall.
    The fact your using R&P with no ratio complicates things further and makes it difficult to advise until you come to better setup with a ratio.

    All I can say with certainty is that those crappy drives and 36v won't be much use for R&P and better drives won't help unless the rest matches.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 07-01-2016 at 12:09 AM.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Better still bite the bullet now and do it right from the start. This will save you money long term and pain in the short term because that's all that's in store for you now with these drives and low voltage. Which you will endup replacing sooner or later and often they are dead so have no resale value.!
    Agree entirely. Whilst they still work the drives have some resale value (e.g. to people making 3D printers who don't require better), but once they blow up ... I got 25 per tonne for a heap of old circuit boards and bits earlier this week.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Power supply
    By racerbear02 in forum Laser Machines & Building
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-09-2015, 09:27 AM
  2. FOR SALE: power supply
    By Web Goblin in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-09-2014, 03:19 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-01-2012, 09:29 PM
  4. FOR SALE: 50V 20A Power supply
    By Jimmybristol in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-05-2011, 11:01 PM
  5. power supply
    By hitmythumb in forum General Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •