. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Can anyone help me find out the volts Dec I can turn my power unit up to that my stepper motor will take all it says on them is 3a 2.4nm no volts. As far as I can make out the drivers will take 50vdc. I have attached a photo. Hope fully someone can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	17113  
    Last edited by Davo242; 06-01-2016 at 01:19 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo242 View Post
    Can anyone help me find out the volts Dec I can turn my power unit up to that my stepper motor will take all it says on them is 3a 2.4nm no volts. As far as I can make out the drivers will take 50vdc. I have attached a photo. Hope fully someone can help.
    If you are using the drivers in you picture then 36 V would be a max and the power supply you have will only give 36V. What is the actual problem you have. Pictures of the setup would be a good starting point.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

The motor on the y just seems if it's not getting enough power to drive the gantry the motor gives the odd shudder also I think the problem could be that it's only driven on one side and I'm just trying to tell myself I don't have to hand out anothe £200 odd to drive the other side to. I will upload some pictures this morning.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    The motor on the y just seems if it's not getting enough power to drive the gantry the motor gives the odd shudder also I think the problem could be that it's only driven on one side and I'm just trying to tell myself I don't have to hand out anothe £200 odd to drive the other side to. I will upload some pictures this morning.
    If you are driving the gantry from the side then it will rack. So lets see the pictures
    ..Clive

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	17128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	17129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	17130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	17131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	17132

For a single CENTRALLY DRIVEN gantry I would not go wider than 600mm. Any wider needs to drive systems (one on each side). Yours looks considerably wider.

Furthermore, and critically, for your design it is very unusual to try and drive a gantry from one side only. It is very likely to rack / judder, plus give poor accuracy when cutting further from the driven side.

I expect that if you grab hold of the non-driven side you can push it back and forth several mm, maybe more ? If so racking is a the likely cause of the judder.

This can be reduced by spacing the X axis bearings further apart fore/aft, but I suspect even this may not be enough if you are still driving from one side.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

yea its what i have been thinking all along. its nearly 1600 on the x axis so i was just pushing my luck. to add another drive on is that the A axis that is used???

yea its what i have been thinking all along. its nearly 1600 on the x axis so i was just pushing my luck. to add another drive on is that the A axis that is used???
    I don't think you will ever get it working with those drives and a 36V power supply and one motor on the long axis. Also do you have a gearbox on the rack & pinion what is the ratio.
    ..Clive

no gear box just a direct drive at the min for testing. its a 59 tooth sprocket on a mod1 rack. 4:1
    Last edited by Davo242; 06-01-2016 at 03:49 PM.

no gear box just a direct drive at the min for testing. its a 59 tooth sprocket on a mod1 rack. 4:1
    What you mean 4:1 if it's direct drive there's no ratio.? 59T direct drive means 185mm pitch.!!!

Anyway I strongly advise you to STOP and have re-think because your wasting your time on several fronts.
    #1 No way can you move gantry that wide with one motor.
    #2 Ratio of at least 5:1 will be needed with that size pinion.
    #3 The drives are rubbish and even with 36V if they survive long enough they will run so badly and rough you'll struggle even with 2. This is because resonance will cripple them and turn them into horrible stalling nightmares. These cheap nasty drives have no way of dealing with resonance and with machine being all steel and not exactly HD the motors/drives will be affected.
    #4 Looking at the Z axis unless your going to use for just Plasma then No way is that Z axis going to be upto cutting anything but foam. Certainly won't cut wood very well.

So again please don't take this wrong way I say it for your own sake and your wallets sake. You'll be wasting good money and time if you continue as you are.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information