. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Relying just on Software E-stop is dangerous and shoudn't be used even on DIY router. Don't for one minute think this machine won't snap your arm like a carrot if get in the way, equaly neither will it think twice about ploughing it's cutter thru your hand just like it would a piece of Oak.!!
    Jazzcnc comment stuck with me and I felt kinda insulted by it.
    Afterwards I spent many hours reading forums and manufacturer specs in fear of duplicating many of the stupid/repeat questions already asked, it dawned on me, what kind of person is going to stick their hand infront of a drill bit when something goes wrong? instink dictates that you would pull the plug in the event of the estop failing.

No matter how many safety features are employed, the above will still happen unless a trip switch is fitted on a enclosure door, NOT mentioned in all that I have read so far

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercnc View Post
    Afterwards I spent many hours reading forums and manufacturer specs in fear of duplicating many of the stupid/repeat questions already asked, it dawned on me, what kind of person is going to stick their hand infront of a drill bit when something goes wrong? instink dictates that you would pull the plug in the event of the estop failing.

No matter how many safety features are employed, the above will still happen unless a trip switch is fitted on a enclosure door, NOT mentioned in all that I have read so far
    Well please don't be insulted that wasn't my intention. At same time I won't appologise for what I said because it's true and does happen.
    No one would intentionaly stick there fingers in front of something capable of chopping them off but yet these things still happen.? Why!!

Because there brains don't engage quick enough and the desire to save there expensive cutting tool overides all rational thinking and before you know it there little piggy's are in there.!! They didn't think about the fact the spindle might grab there baggy Jumper and start pulling them into the machine.!!!

This is what goes thru there brain at that moment it grabs them.!!

" Oh shite can I reach the E-stop!! . . . .YES. . . . . Argh Hey . . . why's it not working???? . . . Oh because I'm a Stupid idiot and couldn't wait and do it right or too tight to buy a £3 Relay. . . .Can I reach the Plug or Cabinet door.? . . . NO. . . !!!!!!!!." At this point the pass out when there finger drops off.!

Sounds a little Dramatic hey.! But the missing part of my little finger can re-assure it's not and thoughts exactly like that will rush thru peoples brains when it happens.!

Safe E-top system isn't limited to one E-stop and there should be several depending on machine. In any case the E-stop should always be with-in reach of the user while at the machine or on the machine.

Again don't be offended just be sensible and do it right.!

Look at my Pic and you'll see wires etc coming out back of door. These ON/OFF, Reset and E-stop. I also fit E-stops on the machine it's self, sometimes 2 or 3 on the machine depending on size. If really large long machine the Rope e-stop would be used.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 08-01-2016 at 02:31 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think it is good that the comments have stuck and made you think but I don't feel you should be insulted.
    It is true that software estops are just not good enough to be safe and the hardwire estop is designed to kill the power to the drives etc at the push of a button and not to restart unless a further button is pressed when everything is safe. A bit like a no volt release switch on a saw in that if it has been unplugged and then plugged it in again it won't start unless you again want it to by pressing the on button.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

No worries Jim, I have a AMA25LV Mill which I converted myself a couple of years back. I am ashamed to say I neglected any such failsafe features there as well and opted for "Strategy 1". Lesson learned, I will correct this when/if I ever get it set up again.

Hi Trev, I would be interested in seeing the circuit diagarm for your custom PCB if possible.

Good luck with your move, sounds ilke you are in the same boat as me, although I moved out 6 months ago and still not in my new house. Yellowbox storage are charging me a fortune. Yep, I read your thread from start to finish last night.

Cheers
    Dave.

Hello both. Sorry ive not got back to you, last weekend i moved out of my old house and im currently at my girlfriends. with regards to the circuit diagram ive not got it to hand at the mo as my cad/main pc is in bits in storage. Although if you have any questions ill try and help out as best as i can.

Trev

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information