. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello All,

Some time ago I have built 1200x700mm machine and it was pretty clear what electronics, mechanics and other items to use. Now, some time has passed - I have decided to build small, desktop machine (approx 400x400mm). But facing challenge - what electronics to use. My pc's does not have parallel ports anymore - is there decent USB BOB, or should I use motion controller connected to BOB ? What BOB should I use, what motion controller should I use (if needed at all). I want to have reliable machine so I could cut wood, aluminium, etc.

Any input, advice would be much appreciated :)

Here is some pic's and video from my previous build:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1. CNC front.jpg 
Views:	1273 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	17163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2. Z axis ALL front.jpg 
Views:	974 
Size:	539.2 KB 
ID:	17164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3. Z axis ALL back.jpg 
Views:	916 
Size:	733.4 KB 
ID:	17165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4. Z axis backend.jpg 
Views:	2036 
Size:	619.1 KB 
ID:	17166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5. Z axis backend_2.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	572.2 KB 
ID:	17167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6. Spindle Side Part.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	350.9 KB 
ID:	17168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC Z axis 011.jpg 
Views:	1389 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	17169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg 
Views:	759 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	17170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg 
Views:	15280 
Size:	369.6 KB 
ID:	17171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg 
Views:	724 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	17172

Hello Welcome,

You made a nice job of that machine but has well electronics I'd look at using different components to what you used last time. Things have changed in last few years and now the price of Ballscrews and Profiled linear rails have dropped massively so with in reach of DIY budgets.

Regards the Electrics then go with Digital drives not old analog type ie Not M542. Lead shine AM882 are a very good drives at ok money if bought from china. Thou for small machine you could use the slightly lesser spec Dm 556 with 50Vdc Max.

Regards the Motion control then Ethernet is the best. For a small machine that doesn't use slaved axis then IP-M from Cslabs is by far the best. This doesn't need a BOB and comes with spindle speed control. It's very high quality unit with plenty of 24V I/O.

Other alternative is ESS smooth stepper used with a BOB, extra Bobs can be used if more than 5 inputs are required. No speed control unless BOB comes with it and only 5v I/O so more prone to noise.

These are the only two Motion controllers I'll use. I don't ike USB it's too unreliable but If I had to choose then the only one's I'd use are the UC300 or Pokeys 56CNC.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-01-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Thank You for your advices JAZZCNC. Much appreciated.

As for rails, I think to use MGN12 rails with MGN12H carriages for Z and X axis. For Y axis HGR15 with HGW15CA (or other type, depending on final design) carriages.

I have concerns if MGN12 with MGN12H will be enough for Z and X axis ? (even though I have seen those used in small cnc machines).

I really liked the CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller, but in specs it shows that the spindle axis is not supported ?

I have ordered 800w water cooled spindle from aliexpress (the size was the buying factor - 158 mm fits nicely in my design) I expect this will be good enough for small aluminium works ? :)

As for stepper drives, I will go with DM556 (or if needed - AM882). But what about steppers ? What torque I would need? (I plan to use pulleys and make 2:1 gearing or just leave it 1:1). The size is important too - smaller steppers are better for my design :)

Do I need closed loop steppers and drivers ? (are they worth the money ? )

Hi Tadas,

Nice job on the first machine above, for the new desktop machine:

Rails: 15mm (xy and z) you can machine pockets. If not 20mm.
    Controller: Expensive but very nice investment.
    Spindle: Time will tell.
    Drivers: DM556 it is then.
    Motors: The "go to" option for most is 3Nm, I wouldn't consider motor frame size personally but I understand why you do, even still for the cost it's cheap enough and better investment to go with the normal choice.
    Closed loop: You decide, forum search is your friend.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 11-01-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by TadasM View Post
    As for rails, I think to use MGN12 rails with MGN12H carriages for Z and X axis. For Y axis HGR15 with HGW15CA (or other type, depending on final design) carriages.

I have concerns if MGN12 with MGN12H will be enough for Z and X axis ? (even though I have seen those used in small cnc machines).
    You will be better with HGR15 or better still HGR20. The bearings are easier to work with and not so tiny.

I really liked the CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller, but in specs it shows that the spindle axis is not supported ?
    No this means you can't control the spindle has an Axis like you would if using Servo Motor with Encoder, say for Spindle orientation with ATC or ridged tapping. But it does have 0-10v Speed control with Relay Output for On/Off.

As for stepper drives, I will go with DM556 (or if needed - AM882). But what about steppers ? What torque I would need? (I plan to use pulleys and make 2:1 gearing or just leave it 1:1). The size is important too - smaller steppers are better for my design :)
    Well difficult to say exactly without knowing Mass etc but like Lee says 3.1nm will give good balance of power and speed so often used. More important is that you choose Steppers with Low inductance to give good torque at speed.

Do I need closed loop steppers and drivers ? are they worth the money[/URL] ? )
    No you don't need them and provided you match the electronics correctly and don't overtune motors you won't lose steps.

But if you can afford them then there are some advantages other than the closed Loop.? . . Three phase motors are much smoother and give more torque across the speed curve. They also handle resonance much better.

Thou I'm not sure about those Drives/motors has I've never used them and not all Closedloop are the same. You'll also need at least 2Nm, ideally 3nm.

Gents,

thank you for your comments.

Lee: is there any other decent controllers (usb or eth) I should consider besides the JAZZCNC recommendation ?

I found these steppers: 57HS22 Leadshine, they are 2.2nm motors and has only 1.8 phase inductance. Anybody has experience with these steppers ?

Belts and pulleys: is it enough to have 6mm belt width or should I go for 10mm or 15mm ? (15mm width pulleys looks too big on desktop sized machine :) ).

I have found this Kickstarter project, they claiming that theirs machine can do aluminium. And they seems using MGN12 rails ? Is this means that it is enough to have MGN12 or their machine more like "toy" compared to more robust DIY machines ?
    Last edited by TadasM; 12-01-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Hello again :)

Have not decided on controller... Found PoKeys57CNC very interesting.
    Do some one have experience with PoStep60-256 + PoKeys57CNC ? Or should I better stick to Leadshine DM556 ?

Thank You.

Hello everyone,

Bit more than a year passed from my first post and intentions to build a desktop size CNC machine. The design took longer than expected, but this CNC machine is not only about functionality, but about the design too. Machine is designed to have a small form factor but with biggest possible cutting area and be able to cut various materials, including steel. I hope You will like it as much as I do.

MMC - Mini Mighty CNC:

Name:	MMC-01.jpg 
Views:	5994 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	20538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMC-03.jpg 
Views:	2922 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	20539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMC-02.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	20540

Name:	MMC-06-Isometric_view_2.jpg 
Views:	1432 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	20544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMC-06-Back_view.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	20542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMC-06-Front_view.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	20543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMC-06-Side_view.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	20545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMC-06-Side_view_2.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	20546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMC-06-Top_view.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	20547

Some numbers / info about my CNC machine:

• FULL Work area X/Y/Z: 480 x 600 x 110 mm
    • Foot print: 416 x 778 mm (to outside of the foots)
    • Machine dimensions (L x W x H): 830 x 650 x 640 (height measured when Z axis UP at maximum, width measured at maximum width of X axis)
    • Weight (kg): approximately 100kg (control cabinet not included)
    • Rapid speed X/Y/Z: currently tested with 10000 mm/min showing very good results
    • Acceleration: X/Y - 2000 / Z - 1200
    • Repeated accuracy: 0.01 mm (check video below)
    • Linear rail types: HIWIN 15mm with carriages HGH15CA
    • Drive train X/Y/Z: Belt driven 1:1 ball-screws for all axis (1610 for X and Y axis, 1204 for Z axis)
    • Spindle: Currently installed 800w water-cooled spindle. (Can be upgraded to 1,5Kw spindle)
    • Drive motors: Steppers NEMA 23, 3.1NM (60BYGH301B)
    • Home/limit switch's: Inductive Proximity Sensor type
    • Sacrificial MDF bed with 54 pcs of 6mm threaded points for material fixing
    • Built entirely from Aluminum
    • Software: UCCNC 1.031 (show the new layout for UCCNC)
    • HB04 Wireless Remote Handwheel Controller MPG Pendant

Control cabinet:

Name:	MMC-Enclosure.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	20541

• Stepper drivers: Leadshine AM882 Digital Stepper Drive With Stall Detection
    • Motion Controller: UC300ETH-5LPT ethernet motion controller
    • BOB: HDBB2 breakout board
    • VFD: Schneider Altivar 320
    • Toroidal traff: 230V/2x24V 2x12.5A = 68V DC to Stepper drives
    • Capacitors: 2 x 20000/100V
    • And other electronics...

I made a few checks of machine accuracy and repeatability.

Here is videos for Z and X axis (Y axis has same accuracy, I did not made a video cause I feel it will boring to watch anyway :) )

Z axis test:

X axis test:

Testing my new CNC machine:

Very first testcut:

Material size: X= 285.000, Y= 305.000, Z= 4.500

Rapid CNC move feedrates:

X axis: 8000 mm/min
    Y axis: 8000 mm/min
    Z axis: 6000 mm/min

First toolpath:
    Tool: Solid Carbide V-Bit 90 deg 10 mm
    Cutting Feedrate:1500 mm/min
    Spindle speed: 18000 rpm
    Total depth: 1.2mm (Two passes: first pass at 1.0 mm, second at 1.2 mm) The two passes strategy was chosen in order to check repeatability of machine witch showed perfect results.

Second toolpath:
    Tool: Solid Carbide End Mill 6 mm (1 flute @ 25degree)
    Cutting Feedarte: 1000mm/min
    Spindle speed: 14000 rpm
    Total depth: 4.6 mm (Two passes: first pass at 3.6 mm, second at 4.6 mm. 1x10 mm tabs to hold peace in place were generated)

Name:	Apsire - Ghostbusters.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	20549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apsire - Ghostbusters-cut completed.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	20550

Next time, for such thin material, double sided tape will be used to avoid any material vibration during machining.

Looking forward to cut some Aluminum and Steel.

I have also designed and tested a PEN holder, and made some nice gift cards during holidays. Please feel free to download, print and use it :)

Name:	2016-10-24 22.27.33.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	20548
    download link to Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1847711

Currently I'm working on additional features for this machine and hopefully I will be able to post the results faster than next January :))) :
    • Dust shoe
    • Auto tool zero probes (stationary and handheld for semi automatic tool changing)
    • Mist system

I'm very thankful to all of You, who gave me some kind of advice and support.
    Last edited by TadasM; 31-01-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Looks like a very nice machine its a credit to you. Its always nice to see the first cut.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Looks like a very nice machine its a credit to you. Its always nice to see the first cut.
    +1 on that.

Lot of work and thought gone into the finer details of that machine which others might not see or appreciate well done. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information