. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Awesome looking machine, very nice and very neat. I'm impressed. I like how you have concealed the linear carriages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in awe :D
    What kind of equipment did you use to make the aluminiumparts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    I'm in awe :D
    What kind of equipment did you use to make the aluminiumparts?
    Nr1madman,

All parts were made using industrial machining centers... In order to get machine compact, some parts got more complex, for e.g.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirror_MMC-Z-02-002.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	20565 All aluminium parts were machined from approx 18 mm down to 15 mm (both sides machining) to get as much accuracy as possible.

I'm considering to anodize aluminum parts, but didn't had time to do a research how it will effect part accuracy or what are the options to protect some particular space on same part from anodizing.
    Last edited by TadasM; 02-02-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Nice machine. Now you need a dust shoe so you can leave it alone working on it's own...

Gents,

I have tested aluminium machining. It is a first time that I have machined/cut aluminium and I'm not very happy with result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-05 11.12.56 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	360.7 KB 
ID:	20600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-05 11.19.10 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	20601

In the attached picture the blue line indicates the pocketing path and red line profile cut path.

Name:	2017-02-05 11.40.51_Ink_LI (Medium).jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	20596

pocketing path settings:

Name:	pocket settings.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	20597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket settings_2.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	20603

Profile cut path settings:

Name:	Profile toolaptj settings.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	20598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Profile toolaptj settings_2.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	20602

Spindle speeds and feeds are from HSM advisor:

Name:	from HSM advisor.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	20599

Pocketing toolpath on part looks really good - shiny finish. But on Profile path - looks like crocodile just cut with his teeth...

Could someone point out where is the issue here and how to get same surface finish as per pocketing toolpath ?
    Thank You

You'll never get nice finish on slotting profile toolpath without using Finish pass. So leave material offset and do full depth 0.2mm finish pass.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You'll never get nice finish on slotting profile toolpath without using Finish pass. So leave material offset and do full depth 0.2mm finish pass.
    Thank You, will do so in next tests. What about speeds and feeds - does it look corrcet ? I tried to use G wizzard, but it gaves me somewhat different settings (24000 rpm and approx 1500 mm/min feedrate). So im not sure if I made a good choice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speeds and feeds are not far off and good point to start. I'd play with DOC to see how your machine handles different depths. 3mm on 6mm tool is little agressive for this type of machine and high spindle feed. Might get better results with 2mm and slightly higher feeds, same out come in cutting time terms but with better finish because less tool chatter.

Much about Feeds And speeds is learning your machine and what likes or doesn't in terms of tools and materials.!

My prefered setup in regards tools and cutting stratergy is to use 3 flute serated edge ripping cutters then finish with 3 flute Spiral flute.! . . . . It's often thought that aluminium needs to be cut with single or Twin flutes cutters only but this isn't the case. 3 flute cutters actually cut better and leave better finish on aluminium and can run higher feeds. However must have very good chip clearing and use coolant.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Speeds and feeds are not far off and good point to start. I'd play with DOC to see how your machine handles different depths. 3mm on 6mm tool is little agressive for this type of machine and high spindle feed. Might get better results with 2mm and slightly higher feeds, same out come in cutting time terms but with better finish because less tool chatter.

Much about Feeds And speeds is learning your machine and what likes or doesn't in terms of tools and materials.!

My prefered setup in regards tools and cutting stratergy is to use 3 flute serated edge ripping cutters then finish with 3 flute Spiral flute.! . . . . It's often thought that aluminium needs to be cut with single or Twin flutes cutters only but this isn't the case. 3 flute cutters actually cut better and leave better finish on aluminium and can run higher feeds. However must have very good chip clearing and use coolant.
    Thank You once again JAZZ. Originally I was planning to do single pass - 6mm DOC, but decided to go "easier" for a first cut :) looks like I need to reconsider DOC when cutting metals... I will test my machine further.

It would be great to hear from others reg. DOC and feeds settings on such machinery :) (not only aluminium).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information