1. Ok, I've managed to uncover the motors

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1.jpeg 
Views:	938 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	17245

Motors are a Shinano SST58D 3830. 1.5v 4.4A

data sheet here http://shinano.com/motors/docs/SST58D.pdf

Anyone give me any hints on what this means - good or bad news? Please tell me I don't have t replace these!!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    They look OK to me. Can you find out what the secondary Voltage says on the transformer (or can you measure the DC Volts across the blue capacitor) in the power supply as Dean (Jazzcnc) has asked before
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. Ahh across the blue capacitor, thank you! - it measures 24.5v .... Not the 36v suggested!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by craynerd View Post
    Ahh across the blue capacitor, thank you! - it measures 24.5v .... Not the 36v suggested!
    Ok then it looks like you will need to build a new power supply it basically consists of the transformer, Caps and a rectifier about £45-£50. What part of Manchester are you in?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Anyone give me any hints on what this means - good or bad news? Please tell me I don't have t replace these!!
    Like clive says motors are fine and you will be better using a new PSU with more voltage. If tight on budget then Technicly don't need a new psu and the machine will work with 24v even with new drives but you'll get much better performance with more volts. Not changing would be like having a ferrari and never taking out of 2nd gear.!

6. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Like clive says motors are fine and you will be better using a new PSU with more voltage. If tight on budget then Technicly don't need a new psu and the machine will work with 24v even with new drives but you'll get much better performance with more volts. Not changing would be like having a ferrari and never taking out of 2nd gear.!
    Jazz, now you have seen the motors, any suggestion as to the best value but quality drivers?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Ok then it looks like you will need to build a new power supply it basically consists of the transformer, Caps and a rectifier about £45-£50. What part of Manchester are you in?
    Hi Clive , North Manchester near Bury

Jazz, now you have seen the motors, any suggestion as to the best value but quality drivers?

These will work nice for that small machine. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leadshine-...kAAOSwNSxVIEIl

Run them with between 44-48Vdc using an unregulated PSU. Either build one like clive says which is very easy and done exactly like what's inside the machine already just with larger transformer and capacitors. You will probably be able to re-use the bridge rectifier may even be able to re-use the Capacitor depending on it's size and just add another.? Thou for the cost you may be better just replacing.
    WARNING### Capacitors can give you nasty shock when charged up so don't go fiddling unless your sure they are dischraged. Always check with a meter before touching across termianls.

9. Dean, how would these compare to the cnc4you CW-5045 ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dean, how would these compare to the cnc4you CW-5045 ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not used them and the spec doesn't give much away which is always a bad sign IMO. The spec sheet reads like they are just Analog Chopper drives and nothing special.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information