. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi guys,
    Now, whats that with the metal these days? Still have not finished my CNC as i have no free time, but already designing and making my metal belt grinder

I must be in my "heavy metal" period again, which i thought was long gone.

So after analyzing all on the market and most of the DIY plans, i decided to designe it from scratch but based on the successful designs.

-First decision was that it will accept standard metric and imperial belts at the same time - 2x75" and 50x2000mm. No need for wider belts.

-It will be overbuild. I hate vibrations from machines. if you know me you will be no surpised that it will be OTT. Come on, only 20 kilos more but a lot better. That 20-30 euro more in a project that will make me spend 400euro, so yeah..

-It will be a precision grinder. No surprise here also. All from calibrated cold drawn steel bars and plates / as they are the same price as the normal /, massive arms and steel shoulder screws for tightening the bearings and wheels.

- tilting 90 degrees. Thats a detail. Not that i intend tilting it but spending so much money i decided it should do all.

At a later time will start updating the build with pictures and more details. For now some snips of the design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt grinder sketch 2.PNG 
Views:	12681 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	17252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horisontal.PNG 
Views:	2506 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	17253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grinder.PNG 
Views:	1302 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	17254
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Boyan, did you see this one:

https://youtu.be/ONH8BEp2dHE

Look at his other video's too.

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Boyan, did you see this one:

https://youtu.be/ONH8BEp2dHE

Look at his other video's too.

.Me
    Hi Lee,
    i saw it and was tempted a bit but at the end decided from steel. This is may be the tool i use most and for everything / same for the 12" disc sander/ so i decided i would screw it very fast if not from steel. Plus the noise and vibrations when i sand 5 hours non stop. I looked at the 2 most expensive grinders and some nice builds which are proven designs and people use them from years.

Some update with pictures. I am actually making 3 machines, one for me, one for Jeff/ fellow forum member and friend, that lives around/ and one for sale. I think of that as prototyping :-)

Cut the steel and made some pieces:

Name:	20160127_140644.jpg 
Views:	1188 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	17433

Jeff cut the main pieces ,that had to be precise, on the mill. In future all will be plasma cut on my machine but as i still have not finished it...

Name:	belt grinder 50x2000 parts.jpg 
Views:	2506 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	17434

So i started assembling this and that, welding , sanding and squaring:

Name:	belt sander diy.jpg 
Views:	1444 
Size:	313.2 KB 
ID:	17435

Name:	diy belt grinder.jpg 
Views:	1646 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	17436

people go at restaurant Saturday night , instead 22.00h i was still welding brackets yesterday. Yeah, i was using olive oil for protection of surfaces when welding, drilling and threading, so it smelled like in restaurant around here

Name:	belt grinder bracket.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	17437

sanding the bracket on my diy 12" disc sander made from 12" diamond disc welded to the pulley and 0.75kw motor.

Name:	bracket belt grinder.jpg 
Views:	1317 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	17438

brackets ready

Name:	the bracket ready.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	17439

the plate that goes on the bracket has 2 screws each, one side only, at the other side i sanded the weld and welded again until pits disappeared. not to speak of that even threaded the hole before welding, as i want all to be very precise

Name:	bolts, face plate.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	17440

The machines without the face plates and the pulleys. tomorrow jeff wil bring me the pulleys, bearings and so, so only thing left is motor mounts . Both motors are 3 phase with VFD.

Name:	machines belt grinder prototypes.jpg 
Views:	1747 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	17441

I think that will be one of the most used machines in my workshop, hence the idea to make it as good as possible. What do you guys think? You like them?

I like it!

.Me
    .Me

looks good,

more updates needed :)

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Very nice Boyan , thanks for sharing.

Sweet!

Sent from my LG-D605 using Tapatalk

OK, some more:

Welding the motor mount bracket that i cut from the original machine, as i savaged the motor from the junk yard. Clamped both pieces to the table first and then to a bar, then welded very carefully so not to distort the piece, as all wheels must be on one surface flat, otherwise belt will want to go left or right.

This is or ideally must be a very precise machine. First to be functional at all, then to be quiet and free of vibrations.

Name:	belt grinder motor bracket.jpg 
Views:	877 
Size:	318.7 KB 
ID:	17529 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt grinder motor bracket 2.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	17530 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt grinder motor bracket 3.jpg 
Views:	1376 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	17531

The belt grinder is meant to be used with using minimum 1.5kw 3 phase 4 pole motor and VFD. Now i had 3kw motor and in the same size and frame,plus Siemens 3kw VFD, so can you guess what happened :-)

Name:	belt grinder  50x2000 prototype.jpg 
Views:	3017 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	17532 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt grinder  50x2000 prototype fromt.jpg 
Views:	1611 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	17533

Now as i dont have physical grinder to see in real life, judge or copy from, some things are not clear, so instead of finishing all 3 machines i will leave it here and start trying this one to see how it works.
    For example:
    -welding the bracket made so that the tooling arm could not pass through further from the end of the square cage, and according to my calcs there is no need to. The motor bracket and motor are there as i put them there for the reason of when 1.5kw motor its easy to flip machine to horizontal. It could be made more compact but then it must be much higher, so some decisions have to be made for future ones.

The paint. Probably industrial epoxy as its the best i could do here. The color is clear though as Jeff like that color, so i decided i would not insist on strange colors. It would be the aquamarine of Myfords and Bridgeport. Does any body know the exact color name or code?

Asking cause on all pictures they look to have different color/ poor white balance on camera/ . The second one seems right to me on my color calibrated monitor.

So any hint on the color?

Name:	11182.jpg 
Views:	1091 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	17534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1000.jpg 
Views:	784 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	17535
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 07-02-2016 at 07:11 AM.

very nice, just curious how much would it cost to build one if you were willing to build in the future to sell it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information