Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
very nice, just curious how much would it cost to build one if you were willing to build in the future to sell it?
Difficult thing to say at this stage. But the KMG grinder sells for 1800$ and can not flip to horizontal. The best one sells for 3000$ and can flip and more . The ebay clones made from box section or/and 6mm laser cut pieces go for 800-1000. That without the wheels especially made for knife making.

On my prototypes all parts are milled/for now/ , so i have still to decide which ones are to be milled and which to be laser cut. Have in mind the price of the VFD and the 1.5kw 3 phase motor. Also welding things aligned precisely takes its time, so still not sure where to weld and where to bolt.

But the way i see it i want to have one model at ~1000euro /+30% if-when sold legally as a company / that beats all basic models around. But it may be high end 2000euro .

Cause its very simple. You want to make knifes, you need a grinder.You need a knife grinder. Thats it. FIY one way or another even if you totally DIY you will spend 500-800 euro on the complete machine. If you have lathe and mill and mig welder ~400euro at least.

By the way its a very useful machine even if you dont intend to make knifes.

So my idea is to make it accessible priced but not sure for now if it will be easily achieved. I started making changes on the drawing even while i am welding it together for this and that reason. So as i said this is a prototype to study whats working on the market and eventually make something better.