Thread: Aligning Gantry

  1. #1
    Hi,

    I have a mill running from Mach 3 and an Ethernet Smooth Stepper. I have 2 motors on the Y axis and 2 micro-switches for homing.

    Sometimes I forget that soft limits are off and run in to the switches that I then need to glue back in place and my gantry no longer homes perfectly square. I use small shims on the gantry to get the switches triggering at just the right position.

    Is there a way to simply adjust the alignment in software? I bet there is, I'm fed up of doing this manually with shims!!

    Thank you!
    Last edited by Tenson; 16-01-2016 at 04:36 PM.

  2. #2
    Nope no way just using software, you still need a switch to trigger the adjust point.

    But the answer is easy really.? Mount the Switch so it doesn't get crushed but rather rode over. Also Fit limit switches or use home switch for both.

  3. #3
    Thanks Jazz. I was going to use a switch but wanted to tune the alignment from that trigger point.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Thanks Jazz. I was going to use a switch but wanted to tune the alignment from that trigger point.
    Well in that case then I think the ESS Plug-in may have this feature.? I know the early Plug-ins didn't have it but I did hear something mentioned about maybe be added to plug-in. That saidKnowing how bad Warp9 are at software updates then I wouldn't hold my breath.!!

  5. #5
    Hi Jazz,

    I had a look yesterday. There is a homing dialogue for ESS but when enabled it makes both axis work and home individually which wasn't much help.

    Simon

    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well in that case then I think the ESS Plug-in may have this feature.? I know the early Plug-ins didn't have it but I did hear something mentioned about maybe be added to plug-in. That saidKnowing how bad Warp9 are at software updates then I wouldn't hold my breath.!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Hi Jazz,

    I had a look yesterday. There is a homing dialogue for ESS but when enabled it makes both axis work and home individually which wasn't much help.

    Simon
    Does it have an Offset option.?

    Also what you mean Homing individually wasn't much help.? You need or want it to Home each axis individually so can square gantry. Do you mean it tried to move just one axis.?
    If so then it's just a setting in Mach3.!

Similar Threads

  1. Gantry Router
    By stevep in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 09:01 PM
  2. BUILD LOG: 8x4 router build. Steel base & Aluminium gantry gantry
    By D-man in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 29-11-2014, 08:48 PM
  3. New Gantry Ideas
    By Tomnewry in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 10:00 PM
  4. Hybrid gantry
    By routercnc in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-04-2012, 08:09 PM
  5. Looking for some help designing my gantry please
    By psiron in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •