. .
    I have been a bit quiet lately but thats because I have been playing with my new lathe....

Decided that after pricing up some of the parts for my router which I am building that I would get a lathe and make them myself.

Its a Leinen MLZ 4S, a bit old but a bloody good machine.

Came with a couple of 3 jaw chucks, a 4 jaw chuck, full set of collets from 1" down to 1/32", spare 3 phase motor, about 40 old style turning tools, a quick change toolholder (that I fitted last weekend), full set of gears for screw cutting, 3 jacob chucks with a few morse taper reducers and another box full of goodies that I have not got round to looking through yet.

But in one of the box's of bits I found these...

THK linear slides and a selection of small ballscrews with nuts! Bonus!

Been making my motor mounts and bearing holders on it and apart from the original leather main flat drive belt snapping on Friday night after re-tensioning which I replaced today with a new modern equivalent it runs like a dream.

Have a guess how much.....

Wait for it...

£200 for the lot!

2. Quote Originally Posted by HiltonSteve View Post
    I have been a bit quiet lately but thats because I have been playing with my new lathe....

Decided that after pricing up some of the parts for my router which I am building that I would get a lathe and make them myself.

Its a Leinen MLZ 4S, a bit old but a bloody good machine.

Came with a couple of 3 jaw chucks, a 4 jaw chuck, full set of collets from 1" down to 1/32", spare 3 phase motor, about 40 old style turning tools, a quick change toolholder (that I fitted last weekend), full set of gears for screw cutting, 3 jacob chucks with a few morse taper reducers and another box full of goodies that I have not got round to looking through yet.

But in one of the box's of bits I found these...

THK linear slides and a selection of small ballscrews with nuts! Bonus!

Been making my motor mounts and bearing holders on it and apart from the original leather main flat drive belt snapping on Friday night after re-tensioning which I replaced today with a new modern equivalent it runs like a dream.

Have a guess how much.....

Wait for it...

£200 for the lot!
    mumbles under breath, you lucky s*d....
    great find... didn't see that come upon fleabay

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    mumbles under breath, you lucky s*d....
    great find... didn't see that come upon fleabay
    It was'nt on fleabay, it was from a chap I know who lives 2 miles down the road. Been in his garage for about 10 years and he has never run it because he does not have 3 phase. Just wanted it out of the way.

Spoke with Tony from lathes.co.uk today and he told me that when they were originally made in the 60's they sold for about £3000! Thats about £30,000 in todays money!

I think you were robbed................
    John S -

Looked at a machine similar to yours this week . Not familiar with this machine. no manual with it . Are parts and accs. available. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by code r View Post
    Looked at a machine similar to yours this week . Not familiar with this machine. no manual with it . Are parts and accs. available. thanks
    You can get a manual and some spare parts from here -http://www.lathes.co.uk/leinen/

I snapped the original leather drive belt on my machine then picked one up from Tony (link above) the next day, nice bloke and certainly knows his stuff. I don't have a manual for my machine but never really needed one, I like the work it out for yourself principal when you get a problem!

If you do have any questions about the lathe then I will help if I can, just ask.

thank you Steve for the info. on the Leinen Not shure what is in it for power. Looks large for the H. P. one would expect on a machine this size. Would it be a 2 or 3 speed.Could not see the motor spec, plate. will be 3 ph. for sure. What is the chuck mounting and taper on this machine? The lathe I looked at has 2 levers on the cabinet under the change box with a round pilot lite betwen them . any idea on them Thank you steve or any one for your time.

The motor on mine is a 2hp 3 speed motor, the 2 levers on the cabinet are main isolator and then the other is the speed selector for the motor. The electrics on mine needed some attention when i got it so I now have only one lever which is the speed selector, this has 4 positions - 0,1,2,3. 0 being off.

The chuck mounting is a screw type with a large thread, not sure what size but I can maeasure it up if you need me to, as for the taper it is to suit the collets which came with my machine, again not sure what size but again i could measure one up if you need me to.

Thread Information