. .
    Hi everyone, I recently redesigned my enclosure and recently reconnected my spindle for testing, everything was working great at the beginning but I noticed slight unusual sound coming intermittently from the spindle, but didn't look like much. now after last run, whatever I do it doesnt spin at the mechanical side/collet holder. the motor works and I can hear it changing frequency when I change the speed.

I increased the speed further and got a OL error on my VFD which is overload error.

it's the usual chinese 2.2kw spindle 24000RPM but 100mm diameter

any idea?

note: also noticed it drew considerable amount of current at just 9000RPM (meter reached 10A)
    Last edited by Noplace; 22-01-2016 at 07:52 AM.

When the spindle is off can you spin the collet/shaft freely by hand? Sounds like the bearings could have bound up?

I know when I have a clogged cutter which stalls in the work the motor coils can still make a sound like they are spinning up, even though the cutter is not moving. Freeing the cutter sorts it out.

Also worth removing the plug on top of the spindle and checking continuity between different pins on the spindle side (windings). Should be a couple of ohms across a winding, not a dead short, for example.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Ok first can you move the collet freely ie does it rotate without power if so then remove the cable from the VFD and check with a Ohm meter what the resistance is between each pair of the three wires going to the spindle.

It sounds to me you might have a bad soldered joint in the plug but check from the VFD end before you remove the plug.

The spindle would make a noise and not spin if one of the wires was disconnected BUT be carful as you could destroy the VFD.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Yes it freely moves, thanks so much gentlemen your diagnosis is spot on as after replugging the cable it worked normally. Guess I have to inspect and probably remake it heh

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    Yes it freely moves, thanks so much gentlemen your diagnosis is spot on as after replugging the cable it worked normally. Guess I have to inspect and probably remake it heh

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    You need to make a bracket to secure the cable does not move in the plug as if it comes loose you will blow your VFD up. So check the connections are good in the plug
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information