. .

Thread: 3D Soap Dish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi all,

Heh - this isn't the first soap dish I've made and I doubt it'll be the last, but after seeing an abysmal design the other day (honestly, how can anyone make a soap-dish that doesn't work properly..?!) I thought I'd model one and cut it as a 3D object. The idea was that the ribs would droop in the middle so as to cradle the soap, whilst the troughs were to drop away at the edges to facilitate draining.

A couple of in-progress pics below. I've made it from a scrap piece of Sycamore I got given a while back. Still needs a bit of sanding and then a couple of coats of varnish. I've modified my CAM files since the first cut (for speed and efficiency) and I may make a special in African Black Wood. It'll be a nice prezzie for someone at some point..!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	24010 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1380_BURST001.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	24011 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050501.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	24012 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen.gif 
Views:	364 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	24013

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 03-04-2018 at 10:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Il'l try this on a bit of sycamore I have, might even use a bit of zabrani I have been saving for years.

Can you give a clue to the cutter you used

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsattuk View Post
    Il'l try this on a bit of sycamore I have, might even use a bit of zabrani I have been saving for years.

Can you give a clue to the cutter you used
    Sure - I used a 4mm square end mill for the roughing and a 4mm ball nose for the finishing. In all honesty a 3mm would be better for the finishing pass, but you'd need a long neck/flute or a shaft no thicker than 3mm to avoid rubbing on the steep sides... I may flare out the troughs and the front and rear faces a bit on the newer model to make it a bit easier to cut...

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Wal I think you have too much time on your hands
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Wal I think you have too much time on your hands
    Don't you mean my impeccably clean hands, Clive..?! ;)

Wal.

EDIT: To be honest, whilst seeming a bit self-indulgent, there's a fair bit I'm picking up with regards to how VCarve handles 3D objects - specifically how it cuts 'em. i.e. cutting along the troughs is A LOT quicker, but frustratingly if the 0.3mm step-over falls on an area that it's not allowed to get to the bottom of, it just ignores the bit that hasn't been cut - of course, you can get around it by narrowing the step-over or adjusting the raster angle - both of which increase cutting time, but them's the breaks, I guess. As a side note, I ended up going with a 45° raster angle, which gave me a decent enough finish in the troughs but wasn't ideal on the steep sides - using the 45° angle stressed the tool a fair bit too - leading to this:

Last edited by Wal; 02-04-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Will you be making your newer model available to us, a bit of taper would help with the cutter choice and perhaps the look.

Only got a 5mm ball nose long enough at the moment so will have to get a couple of long 3mm ones.

I cut the Grunblau soap stand a couple of years ago.

Name:	Soap Stand-02.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	24014

Quote Originally Posted by johnsattuk View Post
    Will you be making your newer model available to us, a bit of taper would help with the cutter choice and perhaps the look.

Only got a 5mm ball nose long enough at the moment so will have to get a couple of long 3mm ones.

I cut the Grunblau soap stand a couple of years ago.

Name:	Soap Stand-02.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	24014
    Yep, sure - I'll try and make the changes at some point today, but other things may get in the way... certainly happy to share it. Nice work on that grunblau dish.

Wal.

EDIT:

I've got a new model made now - preview the .stl here or download the .stl from here.
    Last edited by Wal; 03-04-2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added links to new .stl files

Cut a pair in a bit of yew

Name:	stand-01.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	466.4 KB 
ID:	24021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stand-02.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	24022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stand-03.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	476.7 KB 
ID:	24023

Nice one John - can't wait to see 'em lacquered up! The figuring on the one on the left looks ace.

Wal.

Left one, right one needs a bit of filling of exposed wormholes

Attachment 24029Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stand-05.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	384.0 KB 
ID:	24028
    Last edited by johnsattuk; 04-04-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information