. .
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Interesting watch but knowing nothing about musical instruments and only able to play a CD or Ipod not many comments I can make, nice work though would get more comments if people knew more about process.

Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Interesting watch but knowing nothing about musical instruments and only able to play a CD or Ipod not many comments I can make, nice work though would get more comments if people knew more about process.
    Good point lucan07 and thanks for the feedback - I may try and inject some "anatomy of a guitar" into future videos - probably during the Andy Summers Telecaster project I am thinking about, as the build process will be very similar to the three guitars I have going.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    I doubt it bothers you in the least, but I can't understand how you're not getting more views on this series of vids..!

Keep making 'em - I'll gladly watch more..!

Wal.

Thanks Wal,

Youtube viewing numbers are a "funny" thing and starting to use the channel properly was also an exercise in learning how the Google/Youtube algorithms work and there is a fair sample of data there now I can drill into. I could of course drum up extra traffic guess by CNC carving a pair of 3D breasts or cats, but chasing "ratings" is a slippery slope I'd rather not go down :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    I am watching
    saw some guitar neck jig on website but for the life of me don't know how it works.
    I thought(know nothing about guitars) the headset(or whatever it's called) was tied into the guitar body with a steel rod and this prevented the string tension from bending the neck, and i have heard nut mentioned.
    Videos are GR8
    Mike
    Thanks Mike,

The thing you are describing is the truss rod - its an adjustable steel bow that fits inside the neck and compensates for the string tension. One of the neck videos has me installing them in the Jaguars (the one where I glue the fingerboards to the main neck body iirc).

The nut is the bone or plastic piece at the top end of the neck and holds the strings in place at that point - I will have a video showing me making these once all the paint work is finished.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    I was thinking about the YouTube views - guitar builds are a really popular subject on the 'tube with some pretty mediocre vids getting some very high viewing figures - this series features an informative and well put together build log of an iconic guitar - great work deserving of more YouTube views IMO..!

Wal.

[EDIT: Yep, I totally hear you on not wanting to 'chase' views - if you're anything like me then you're doing this as a personal record of work done - but there is a level of satisfaction knowing that your work has been seen by a few pairs of eyes and maybe inspired hands to have a go at making one themselves. I think back to the time before I had built my little mill, what did I do on weekends back then...?!)
    Last edited by Wal; 01-06-2016 at 01:55 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    ....Andy Summers Telecaster project I am thinking about.....
    looking forward to this Chris, as you know I also want to make a Tele, I've got a few files of body and neck shapes but have looked no further than that as of yet as I'm still trying to make my RC plane!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

There are companies out there that will give you views for $ on youtube or followers on twitter and people crazy enough to pay them making the numbers pretty pointless at the end of the day apart from massaging a few ego's at a price. Also posts can be placed on thousands of forums by using a Bot people pay for these services too so I would not take a lot of notice of viewing, follower figures or indeed reviews they are easilly manipulated with very little knowledge.

Very true - there are also the Youtube network companies and other external parties, who also promote the channels they have under their wings (for a revenue cut) using various "rent-a-mob" techniques and some who try to disguise what are in essence "infomercials".

Personally I'm not really motivated by the financial side (nor need to be), but I do enjoy doing the videos for their own sake and more to show people that they can also do great things using CNC. It also helps answer a repeat question I get i.e. "what on earth are you going to make with a CNC machine" when I tell them I've built one myself - maybe I should do a channel intro vid along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    looking forward to this Chris, as you know I also want to make a Tele, I've got a few files of body and neck shapes but have looked no further than that as of yet as I'm still trying to make my RC plane!!
    Yeah me too - I've wanted that guitar since 1978/9, but wasn't going to shell out the ~£10,000 Fender wanted for the limited edition replica in 2007.

Perhaps when the time comes (we both have projects to finish :) ) we could do a collaboration video as your machine's larger bed would save a lot of grief when it comes to cutting out the bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Yeah me too - I've wanted that guitar since 1978/9, but wasn't going to shell out the ~£10,000 Fender wanted for the limited edition replica in 2007.

Perhaps when the time comes (we both have projects to finish :) ) we could do a collaboration video as your machine's larger bed would save a lot of grief when it comes to cutting out the bodies.
    Definitely up for that Chris, will have to have a play with Fusion 360 before that and finish off the CNC Router build and get it up vertical as it's a PITA having it on the floor!!!!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information