. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello,

Just wanted to make sure that I did correctly what was recommended in a great post on spindles, which is to pull an earth cable from pin 4 of the spindle to the shield. Can anyone look at these photos and tell me if I'm good to close this thing back up ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 28-01-16 at 21.46.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	17407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 28-01-16 at 21.47 #2.jpg 
Views:	877 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	17408

Also, when I put the cap back on, I think I should pour some silicon in there to ensure it's sealed correctly.. don't trust too much the thing done by those chinese guys.. Also I think I'll change the seals on the cap, on of them is broken already and the other one doesn't look to good.

Does anyone have an idea of why they don't ground them in the factory ?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers !

Can't quite see what you have done there . Have you put the earth wire to the 4th pin on the socket what have you done with the other end?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hello clive, yes I've soldered an earth wire to the 4th pin. The other end I soldered it on the while directly.

EDIT: well actually, the other end does not want to stick to the shield...
    Last edited by eurikain; 28-01-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eurikain View Post
    Hello clive, yes I've soldered an earth wire to the 4th pin. The other end I soldered it on the while directly.

EDIT: well actually, the other end does not want to stick to the shield...
    That's what I thought you had done you cannot solder to the case. If you re read what I said in the post you linked to. I said change one of the socket fixing bolts to a longer one and solder a ring type connector on the free end of the wire and put the ring over the bolt on the inside and secure it with a nut
    Last edited by Clive S; 28-01-2016 at 10:26 PM.
    ..Clive

Ohhh yes that's right, sorry ! I'll do that :) Is it ok to put silicon on the bolts and wires to ensure sealing ?

Ohhh yes that's right, sorry ! I'll do that :) Is it ok to put silicon on the bolts and wires to ensure sealing ?
    You don't need to do that BUT be careful with the water connection seals (O rings) are not damaged. I believe some put a little silicone on the O rings. Thinking about it when you have done it you could run water through the spindle and leave a screw out of the socket then you would know if it was leaking. Don't forget to put the screw back later.
    ..Clive

This was how I did it. See post #26

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7545-VFD-error/page2
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    This was how I did it. See post #26

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7545-VFD-error/page2
    Looks really nice, great job ! I ended up filling the inside with silicone, though know it was not necessary, but I'm just too worried about the sealing.. this way I'm sure it's all sealed properly. I made sure nothing was getting in the water circuit by putting some perfectly sized metal stems in it.

Just letting it dry for the moment (24 hours recommended).

Looks really nice, great job ! I ended up filling the inside with silicone, though know it was not necessary, but I'm just too worried about the sealing.. this way I'm sure it's all sealed properly. I made sure nothing was getting in the water circuit by putting some perfectly sized metal stems in it.

Just letting it dry for the moment (24 hours recommended).
    What do you mean filling the inside up with silicone and what are the metal stems. There should be two O-rings to seal the water ways.
    ..Clive

Name:	spindle.png 
Views:	862 
Size:	479.7 KB 
ID:	17409

See how the three factory wires go through a white kind of silicon water-proof gel coat ? Well, I recoated that because I wasn't happy with how it looked. Next, next to the water holes there was some glue that was put in the factory, you can see it because it's only around the water holes. I put silicone all around the spindle like that:

Name:	spindle.png 
Views:	384 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	17410
    But, as you can see, some silicone could get into the water intakes, which is not good, so I fitted a perfect fit metal cylinder through both of them while putting the cap back on to make sure no silicon got in there. I got the word "stem" from Google Translate, hoping the translation would make sense :) May be "metal stick" would have been better :)

I have to replace both o-rings of the cap intakes (main intakes when the spindle is closed), i'm not happy with those that are on there, plus one of them is broken, so I'll replace both at once. I'll get new ones next week.
    Last edited by eurikain; 29-01-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information