. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Guys
    The LED lights arrived yesterday, just need a little more information please.
    I would like to extend the wires coming from the unit with some decent quality cable.
    What size do i need ?
    the light has 3 core cable red/black/white i assume red is positive and black negative, is the white core an earth ?
    what would be the best way to connect the new cable/ solder the new and shrink sleeve or go into the unit and solder to the board.
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Guys
    The LED lights arrived yesterday, just need a little more information please.
    I would like to extend the wires coming from the unit with some decent quality cable.
    What size do i need ?
    the light has 3 core cable red/black/white i assume red is positive and black negative, is the white core an earth ?
    what would be the best way to connect the new cable/ solder the new and shrink sleeve or go into the unit and solder to the board.
    Thanks in advance
    Mike
    The cables on mine were red, black and yellow the yellow one was to make the light flash so not needed. So you only need two core 5A would be fine.

Just extend the cable and heat shrink.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks live
    So is red positive & black negative ?

Thanks live
    So is red positive & black negative ?
    Spot on
    ..Clive

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Thanks for the recommendation, guys. I was looking for a replacement for the 48V worklight on my lathe. Given that the bulbs are pretty much impossible to find, and the transformer would need replacing anyway (was 415-48 but now running the lathe via an inverter so only 240V available continuously) I ended up looking at the lights from RS and so on at £100-120 or so. Fortunately, I saw this thread before I ordered and ended up with a couple of 10W LED fog lamps. Small, run cold, give out lots of light, and just need a cheap 12V power supply. I went for fog rather than spot to give a slightly more spread beam pattern and something not too bright. I've just tested them on the bench and they look very good indeed for this job. And for just over a tenner, post paid. I'll bolt one of these to the existing worklight arm on the lathe and probably use the other one on the mill.

I am ordering some wire tonight and waiting for the power supply, but that's only just been shipped due to Chinese New Year delay, looking forward to getting it up & running, went to pick up a lathe for a pal yesterday so will probably be getting him one as well.
    nice one Clive

I am ordering some wire tonight and waiting for the power supply, but that's only just been shipped due to Chinese New Year delay, looking forward to getting it up & running, went to pick up a lathe for a pal yesterday so will probably be getting him one as well.
    nice one Clive
    I am away at this time but thinking about it I am sure that any 2A cable will do the job ie. just use the lighting flex that is used from the ceiling rose to the lamp holder that can be got from any B&Q or hardware store. I used the cable that was cut off the proxy switches that I used for homing.
    ..Clive

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    My 10W lights come with very thin wire but they're only taking an amp or so and aren't going to need anything very heavy. Also, mine appear (according to the web site) to be "AC DC 12-32V" - so input polarity if you're running them off DC shouldn't matter, and in my case I should be able to use the existing transformer without so much as a rectifier. Fingers crossed - shall be testing later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information