Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a V-Groove cutter for making 90 degree miter joins in 18mm plywood. I have a Wealden cutter (part#T128) but it has a 0.75mm flat on the end.

Can anyone recommend a suitable cutter without a flat end on it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tenson; 04-02-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Oh! Can I also please get a recommendation for veneer masking tape?

I find my usual masking tape does not stick well to veneer. I need something to put over the miter joins and hold them together when I fold them. I see a lot of people using blue stuff (Tesa?).
    Last edited by Tenson; 04-02-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 36. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Been using a cheap 90 Degree V-Groove with a 22mm cutting edge from ebay. Cost about 4. Cut lots of MDF & softwood with it absolutely fine.

Can you point me to the one you use? Are you sure it doesn't have a flat on the end?

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 36. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    This is the one I use: V-Groove 90 Degree (think I got mine from a different supplier.)

Cheap and cheerful but I think they're pretty good value for money.
    Last edited by Rye; 04-02-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Thank you. It doesn't seem to have a deep enough DOC for 18mm, but I do also cut a lot of 9mm sheet.

The seller of this tool says it comes to a sharp point on the end - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1613257439...xe=exe,ext=ext

Lives in a, Netherlands. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 45. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    I found a cheap one that was ground to a very good point so I ordered a bunch more.

Those were ground the same way, but missing the centre. Result: Flat bottom.

If you want to do 18 mm ply, you'd need a 36 mm bit. That is BIIIIIG and needs a big and powerfull spindle.
    Or you'd be doing minute increments, like 0.1mm per pass as you get deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    This is the one I use: V-Groove 90 Degree (think I got mine from a different supplier.)

Cheap and cheerful but I think they're pretty good value for money.
    I just ordered a couple of those. It will do nicely for my 9mm stock.

I have a 2.2KW VFD spindle so should have enough grunt for 18mm plywood without super fine passes.