. .
  1. Have been reading the forum for ages and thought it was time to say hello. Have been retired for a couple of years now and would like to think I am a Model Engineer (no chance). Did my grounding as a marine engineer lots of years ago, learnt one end of a hammer from the other and then left to pursue non-engineering jobs for forty years. A brief spell as a draughtsman, in the days of pen and ink is my most recent brush with things technical. I have always had a workshop of some sort and have a lathe and small milling machine.

Know absolutely nothing about CNC, other than what I have read here, but feel it is about time to learn. It has got to be better than winding the mill handle for hours! Managed to learn how to use a CAD program, Geomagic Design, and can make a drawing albeit slowly. Designed an MDF moving table machine but never built it. Thought about a mill conversion but finally decided on a small moving gantry job which I am currently designing. Once I get enough on paper or on the hard drive I will start a build thread. It may however never get finished as I am the worlds worst at starting projects...

On a less complicated matter, how do I get an avatar added to my profile, don't seem to be any buttons?

Cheers
    John

Hello and Welcome,

Good luck with your new Gantry project and stay away from MDF it's bad for your wallet and soul.!!
    Just ask if you want to know anything and best advise I can give is don't buy a bloody thing until your sure or run it by the forum.!

Regards avatart then it will be in your Profile settings I think.?

3. Thanks, definitely not buying anything until checked here, some of the kit required seems very expensive so can't afford to make too many mistakes. Found the avatar bit it appeared in settings the next day, wasn't there originally, must have some sort of in built delay after signing up.

Cheers
    John
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time - Terry Pratchett
    Journeyman's Workshop

Thread Information